LEEP procedure and plans to conceive... adult content

My husband and I had just decided to TTC our next child when I found out I have to have a LEEP procedure done due to precancerous cells showing up consistantly in my endocervix and changes in hpv cells. From what I have heard and researched the chances of having a miscarriage are increased as are the chances of going into labor early (as early as 25 weeks). My last child came 6 weeks early and she faced a lot of health issues because of it. So the thought of another early labor is a bit daunting to say the least. I'm wondering if I should put the LEEP off until I have one more child or if I should go ahead with the LEEP procedure and wait another month to TTC as the drs office reccomended. I did call the dr back this morning and left him a message asking him if he thinks its ok to wait or not. But, I want to hear from other women who have actually had the LEEP done and went on to conceive. What was the outcome? Was it a painful procedure? And were you able to drive yourself home? Thanks so much for sharing your story with me.

CarolinaQ

Asked by CarolinaQ at 10:32 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Hi - I had a LEEP back in July 2006.   Since I was completely sedated, I didn't feel a thing, and I had no pain afterwards.  Some women experience cramping after.  You will feel fine in a few days, but your body needs more time to heal.  I did not drive myself home, but I probably could have.  It depends on if you are getting anesthesia or not. Make sure you follow all the restrictions your dr gives you.

I was able to conceive and carry another child (born Feb. 2009) normally.  The research you've most likely read has to do with multiple leeps.  I'm surprised the dr's office told you that you could TTC one month post LEEP.  More realistic is 6 mos (minimum).  Since I'm limited with my answer here, you can message me or join my group 'Abnormal Moms' for more info.  Good luck!

ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:48 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I am about to have the same procedure next week. I explained to my doctor that I wanted her to be as conservative as possible because I do not want my cervix to be shortened knowing it can cause pre term labor. If for any reason you may be having complications, there is a stitch that they can put in your cervix that helps bare the weight of the baby. I would not be too worried about if I were you. I always ask questions and more questions. When I went back in for my follow up a had a list of questions written down to ask her The best of luck to you though...I will pray for ya :)
    Cddavenport

Answer by Cddavenport at 10:42 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Oh and to add on, it is not any worse than the biopsy was before assuming you had one...No sex for a month, and you will have some bleeding for a while. personally I made my guy take off work that day to drive me in case I am too uncomfortable afterward, but they numb you first before doing anything. That will be the worst part. Luckily, the cervix has very little nerves on it. I would not wait on this...the hormones in your body when pregnant can actually contribute to these cells causing them to grow more quickly. I do plan on having another baby as well...Again good luck and I hope I could help.
    Cddavenport

Answer by Cddavenport at 10:47 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I had the LEEP done in November 09 we weren't trying to get pregnant or anything but 2 weeks later I found out I was pregnant at the time of the LEEP I was about 2 weeks in my cycle so it wouldn't of shown up on any test, but I did go into premature labor at 33 weeks they were able to stop it and she was full term (I ended up having to be induced) I'd get the LEEP done before TTC if I were you but I had my mom drive me home I probably could of but I did have some cramping afterwards and its not all that painful its a little bit but I thought the procedure where they took pieces of my cervix to see if they were cancerous was a little more painful.
    comyntas

Answer by comyntas at 10:45 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I had a LEEP in 2005. No problems at all, painless, and I didn't drive myself home. But I've had two babies since the procedure, one in 2008 and one in 2009 with no complications. I had a csection at 39 weeks with both (I had issues delivering my previous 3 vaginally so we went ahead with the csection, was in no way related to the LEEP)

Answer by missanc at 10:53 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I had 2 LEEPS done years before I had my son. The first was probably in 1998 or so, the second in 2007. I was fully sedated both times and had somebody else drive me home. When I had my son in 2009, the doctor didn't seem to think these would cause me any problems. I was induced at 38 1/2 weeks due to blood pressure issues.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:08 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I had a LEEP done in 2007 I had 6 early miscarriages after having it since they took a lot of my cervix. Then I conceived my second and got two cervical stitches placed at 16 weeks. I did have preterm labor on and off from 14 weeks till I delivered. Five months after I had him I had another miscarriage then the month later conceived my DD. I got the cervical stitch at 12 weeks with her and had preterm labor on and off starting at 20 weeks till the day I had her at 38 weeks. The LEEP wasn't painful at all for me.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 7:47 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Well, thanks for all the answers. For the most part they helped settle my nerves. I went ahead and booked my procedure but have since postponsed because I think I am pregnant but its too soon to tell with a urine test. I'm going in for a blood test tomorrow to confirm. Thanks again everyone!
    CarolinaQ

Comment by CarolinaQ (original poster) at 11:53 PM on May. 12, 2011