Do you think this is rude?

my brother is in the military..he gets to come home for 14 days. my mother decided to have a welcome home party for him the day after he gets home (which happens to be mothers day)..so we are celebrating mothers day and him coming home...well my sister decides she wants to go ahead and have my nieces bday party the same day too. her bday isnt until the 18th of may..(i know it isnt that far away, i just think its rude because i feel the family gathering should be about my brother being home and not about my sister and her kid!

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:41 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• I agree, and I would tell her how you feel.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:43 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree with you. It should be about him 100%.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:44 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree. The birthday party can wait.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:44 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Is the party going to be at the same place the party for your brother is or at a different location? Will she be inviting kids and members of her DH/SO/daughter's father's family?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:46 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I've been the one "coming home" and I think your brother will be just fine honestly. All he will be concerend with is seeing your faces :) But for your sister, yes she could've done something a little different.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:46 AM on May. 3, 2011

• YES- i think that is really Rude- your sister should let your family enjoy your Brother for the day & Wait on the Birthday Party!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:48 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Maybe she's doing it out of convience; everyone will already be together. I doubt very much that your brother would mind sharing a special day with his neice. I can see why some think it's rude, but do you really think that it's her intention to take away from your brother's big day? I wouldn't make this a big issue.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:51 AM on May. 3, 2011

• no, i don't think she is trying to take away from his big day..she is only doing it because there is family coming from out of town and she can rack up on gifts..(i'm sure) my mom told her if she is doing this it can only be family..no friends
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree, but I have to ask, why have a "welcome home" party if he's only coming home for 14 days? (Sounds like R&R to me, that he's been overseas & is coming home for 2 weeks and will return to "over there"...right?). In all honesty, I'd skip the big party for him, make it just an immediate family thing, let the sis have the birthday party later since he'll be there for it, but keep things to a minimum. It is not easy for a soldier to come home and get bombarded like that - I speak from experience. Sure, we think it's nice, and some soldiers might like it, but it's better to keep something like that for when they come home "for good" - at the end of a deployment. Sorry to go off like that, but like I said, I have personal experience with the big part on R&R and it's more often not a good thing to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on May. 3, 2011

• well anon you can call it what you want but my family would still all gather to see my brother no matter what. even if he was only gone for 1 month, we would still welcome him back home and be grateful to see him.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 11:11 AM on May. 3, 2011