Tanning Beds / Laying Out in Sun

We all know the risks of tanning. If you don't, you've been living under a rock these past 20 years. I often compare it to smoking...some have problems, some don't, but there are always risks that can even lead to death.

So many people I know go to tanning beds or lay out in the sun...friends, acquaintances, just seeing posts on forums...and I often wonder why someone would do that when they know the risks. Only one person says she goes tanning because it helps her with her health issues.

So why do people do it? Is it one of those "it won't happen to me, only others" things? Do they dislike their pale skin so much that they are willing to get cancer to darken it?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:19 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I agree everything is a risk just in your house alone let alone going outside where you might get hit by a car everyone makes their own choices to do what they do fully knowing the risk and are fools to think it won't happen to them
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 12:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I also went because it helped with my arthritis in my back... Now I just deal. I'd rather be pale and in pain, then possible skin cancer.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:22 AM on May. 3, 2011

• For some, vanity is more important than a long healthy life. It takes awhile for some people to realize their mortality, that they're not immune to this, even though logically we all know. I started tanning for a short while until I had a skin cancer scare. That stopped me real fast!
    It's the same thing as people who use diet pills or extreme weight loss methods- vanity is more important than health for too many f us. We're an instant gratification society, and we're very short-sighted in that regard.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:23 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I just do the mystic tan, although when I did try the tanning beds the acne on my back went away.....
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 11:24 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I just like being outside more than inside and it just happens to make me tan!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:26 AM on May. 3, 2011

• everything has risks, i tan because it helps with my arthritis and psoriasis i don't lay in the tanning bed every day to get dark, i got 2-3 times a week for phototherapy for psoriasis, much cheaper than doing the lasers and uv box at the dermatologist
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:41 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I don't do either because skin cancer runs in my family. I'm also getting older and don't want that aged baked look, but that's me.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:20 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Take it from me... someone that did it for twenty years... DON'T! I know have those sun spot things on my upper chest, arms and legs. I hate it. Thank God, I covered my face all those years!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:39 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Vitamin D.

And just wait, we'll see that those spray tans have some nasty parabens that will cause cancer too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:53 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Do you drive? You run the risk of being hit and killed right? So why do it? Everything in life is a big risk, good for you for not tanning or being in the sun.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:21 AM on May. 3, 2011