Please share your experiences with men

My husband is Hispanic and was born in the dominicain republic. He is used to the culture there. I am expected to handle all cleaning, cooking, child rearing, paying bills, making sure the yard is kept up, ect. I serve him and my child all meals and snacks. I lay out his work clothes. If I leave home for any length of time, I must take my cell phone so he can contact me. He is ok with me going to fitness classes, but I have some social groups that he doesn't always want me to go to he can be a bit over protective. He is very loving, pampers me, and is a good worker. I am a SAHM. It's just sometimes I would like to take time off from the routine and just do something for myself. Your thoughts ladies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Have you communicated your feelings to him?

EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 11:28 AM on May. 3, 2011

• You need to tell him our culture is different. You are not a 'kept' woman who he controls, you are an individual with your own likes and interests and you will come and go without getting his approval. You also need to tell him that in this culture men not only help around and in the house they also choose their own clothes for the day and take them out of the closet and drawers all by themselves.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:30 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I am a VERY independent woman...so none of that being treated as if i am a maid not a wife would work with me at all. But jumping everytime my husband says "jump" just isnt my cup of tea. It is good to hear that he is atleast really really good to you!! I would just talk to him and let him know that you need time for YOURSELF every now and then.
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 11:32 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Yes, I agree with Meooma. This is the USA, land of the free--to each his own--women are not slaves anymore!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:33 AM on May. 3, 2011

• How long have ya'll been married? I think your culture will rub off on him over time, you guys don't live in the dominican so some things may just wear off?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:37 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Wow. My husband is Hispanic (from Mexico) and he's nothing like that. You are your own person and you're choosing to live like that. You could put a stop to it if you're not happy with the way things are going. Nobody can control you unless you let them.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:37 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Tell him "Welcome to the USA"!!!! This is not the "old country", and things are different here.... slavery was abolished years ago!! And everything meoma said!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:37 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Ok Mom, I am married to a Mexican and I know what you mean. Maybe it is becasue my hubby was raised in Texas that he is not 100% machista but I do know where you are coming from. Dominicans have a tendancy to have a wife in the home and a Lady friend on the side. Have you heard their expression ....Papi Chulo.... I am not implying he is cheating on you but he has got to be more helpful in the house. What social life can you have with doing all you do and then the yard work? Not acceptable in any culture...Huggs momma you will have to get firm with him and tell him you need some alone time for you. I realize that Dominicans are Loud but it is only their nature, they mean no harm by it so stand your ground.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 12:02 PM on May. 3, 2011