Sick kitty?

i have a 12 year old tabby. lately he has been sneezing alot and has had eye and nasal discharge. i thought he was getting better and then he started sneezing again last night. i really cant afford a trip to the vet but i dont want to wait and have an illness get worse. my luck i would go to the vet and they say he just has an allergy and to go home after paying them 100. has anyone else had this happen with their kitty?

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 11:25 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Pets

• yes my eight year old cat recently had like a cold with a stuffy nose and sneezing i called a vet just to see,they told me not to bring him in untill hes not eating or drinking that he probably has a cold.he got better a week later,i just gave him extra attention and got him can food,he should be fine as long as hes eating and drinking and not loosing weight.just use your best judgement..i think hell be fine.

twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 11:36 AM on May. 3, 2011

• More than likely your cat has an Upper Respiratory Infection...which is basically just a cold. Since you don't want a vet trip, as long as he is keeping up with eating and drinking and using the litter box without any problems, I'd let it go for a couple of weeks to see if he gets better on his own. However, if he doesn't after those couple of weeks, he will need antibiotics from your vet. Good luck and hope your kitty feels better!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:35 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree that it sound like an upper respiratory infection but you need to get the cat to the vet. If it is a URI the cat will need meds. I have seen cats die from not getting treated for this. It is basically a kitty cold but it can get bad.  It could be allergies but it sounds like even if it is that meds are needed regardless.  I have a cat that had allergies and would get allergic conguctivits that I had to treat. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:42 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It might be an allergy. My vet told me to give my cat children's benadryl and that it was perfectly safe. I can't remember the exact dosage though, sorry. Just call your vet and ask what they would recommend for an allergy. I also have another cat that had allergies and was just absolutely knocked out by the benadryl so my vet told us to put her on half a tab of zyrtec. Both of them are still alive at 13 and 15 we have been doing this for years now. It makes them much more comfortable during those itchy seasons.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:37 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I use Chlortrimeton 4mg ~ 1/4 tab ~ once a day for kitty allergies, 1/2 tab for colds per my vet's instructions. If you don't know what is wrong, it's better to see the vet and make sure. You have to get the PLAIN chlortrimeton (Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4 mg) with no extras, runs about $4-5 for 50 for the generics. Toss any cut pills once your cat is feeling better, but the shelf life is good otherwise. I have two cats that take it all spring and part of the summer, and one who needs it all through the fall.

If you see your vet fairly regularly, I would say call and ask about the meds listed and see which one yours prefers. And, when you talk to him/her you'll get a better idea of whether they think it warrants a check up as well. Better safe than sorry.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:39 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Try to avoid antibiotics for a virus. Overuse is contributing to the many new superbugs out there!
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 3:22 PM on May. 3, 2011