What did this mean?

My brother recently moved to town. He and his wife do not have children, she stays home. My brother is always telling me to call his wife if I ever need child are that she would love to do it. My dd is 9. I have never asked before. I sent her a txt this morning asking if she could pick up my dd after school and watch her until 430 when I get off work. I said my dd didnt want to sit in my office for another day. (she knows my mom is out of town and usually get her) She responds with "I guess. I dont know what I will do with her though" I felt like this meant she didnt want to do it. I said" if you would prefer not to today its ok I can oick her up" she said It doesnt matter just let me know. I feel like I should just say dont worry about it. I feel really akward for asking now....what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yeah, it honestly sounds like she doesn't want to do it. Sorry. It's like when I ask my man if he wants to go and do something and he says "I guess" I'm like, "Never mind, because obviously you don't."
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:31 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Yeah it sounds like you might be bothering her. Since it was your brother and not her that offer I wouldn't have asked.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:32 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I'd just tell her never mind. I'd pick her up myself and never call/text/ask her again. Clearly she and your brother did not have the same conversation.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:33 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I'd probably feel the same way :) But I think she really means what she said, she won't know what do to with her lol Probably b/c she's not around kids often, but I think it'll be fine :) Just a side note, I completely hate when guys tell my DH, Oh yes my wife watch the kids anytime," when they haven't even asked their wife and then I ask her and feel like a fool lol. But really, she's probably just nervous.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:32 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Sounds to me like your brother was extending you an offer that his wife wasn't fully okay with...or maybe even aware of. I think I'd pass on her watching your DD
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:37 AM on May. 3, 2011

• It sounds like she doesn't want to do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:30 AM on May. 3, 2011

• she may really just not know what to do with her. Maybe suggest she just go to the playground and let her play. At 9 she doesn't need to be walked around, she can go play on her own. Let her do it this time and tell her your bro encouraged you to ask her. Give her a chance, if she's that shy and unsure of how to act around kids, she may just need a chance to get to know you all better, including your daughter.
    zradiogirl

Answer by zradiogirl at 11:45 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I guess I shouldnt have..i think my brother is always trying to get us to interact with her because she is kinda shy. I thought maybe she has been hurt since I never ask and he always says Why didnt you call Theresa?? So what do I tell her now? That I will just pick her up? I will never ask again trust me..i feel so akward. I hate having no one to depend on.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:38 AM on May. 3, 2011

• She was a teacher for 15 yrs..she knows what to do with kids. She just didnt go back to work aftr getting married. She takes care of her nieces and nephews all the time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:47 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Be honest with her; tell her your brother thought she might be able to watch your daughter for a bit, so you asked. If it's an inconvenience, she doesn't have to do it. How well does she know YOUR daughter? Just because she's used to children, doesn't mean she knows your child. Give her suggestions about what your daughter likes to do.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:56 PM on May. 3, 2011