What would you say if it came to be that~Harsh Interrogation Tactics played a part in the killing of bin Laden?

AP: Officials say CIA interrogators in secret overseas prisons developed the first strands of information that ultimately led to the killing of Osama bin Laden.

Current and former U.S. officials say that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, provided the nom de guerre of one of bin Laden’s most trusted aides. The CIA got similar information from Mohammed’s successor, Abu Faraj al-Libi. Both were subjected to harsh interrogation tactics inside CIA prisons in Poland and Romania.

The news is sure to reignite debate over whether the now-closed interrogation and detention program was successful. Former president George W. Bush authorized the CIA to use the harshest interrogation tactics in U.S. history. President Barack Obama closed the prison system.

~~~

[LA TIMES]Crucial information about the trusted courier who owned the compound came years ago from CIA interrogations of 9-11 mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohamed, the official said. This is significant, because the Al Qaeda mastermind was subject to waterboarding and other brutal interrogation methods.

"We were able to get pieces of information from detainees," the official said. "That took years and these guys don’t give it up all willingly."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:47 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• They did play a part in it. That's what happens, captured players are interrogated.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:49 AM on May. 3, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:53 AM on May. 3, 2011

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden_hunt_for_bin_laden

Mohammed did not discuss al-Kuwaiti while being subjected to the simulated drowning technique known as waterboarding, former officials said. He acknowledged knowing him many months later under standard interrogation, they said, leaving it once again up for debate as to whether the harsh technique was a valuable tool or an unnecessarily violent tactic.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:54 AM on May. 3, 2011

• i think we should have shown them as much mercy as they showed us on 9/11/2001.. in other words, whatever works.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:57 AM on May. 3, 2011

• So, SaK~ you have one article from a former official and I have an article that states CURRENT and former officials.... Doesn't put an end to the debate..... Just adds more questions..(see how that works?)

And speaking of questions, the question was, "What would you say if it came to be that~Harsh Interrogation Tactics played a part in the killing of bin Laden?"

... So SaK, What you would say is ~the url for a link? Okie dokie, then...

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• So SaK, What you would say is ~the url for a link? Okie dokie, then...

Ill go answer in the original q
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I read yesterday the info that sweet posted. That he gave up nothing during the waterboarding, but did so much later under standard interrogation. So I can't really say that waterboarding helps to get info since no info was obtained with the waterboarding. I'm not really a fan of the whole waterboarding thing. Not becaue i have any sympathy for those A holes. It just seems that if it were me being interrogated, and i was being waterboarded, I would say anything to get it to stop. I'd make shit up.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Excellent!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:09 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Ill go answer in the original q

Actually the original questions asks a yes or no question of~ DID waterboarding techniques.... Since, even officials have differing statements, how are YOU going to be able to answer without a doubt Yes or No? I'm asking what would YOU say if it came to be that they WERE used... Different questions.. If you are into that whole reading comprehension thing... But you go ahead and do what your comprehension level allows... ;o)

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It's my understanding water boarding was used to get info from the informant. And it's my opinion that it should have been used more in the past. I agree, whatever works. They show no mercy in what they do. I think our troops are forced to hold way too much mercy. Not that 2 wrongs make a right. Not that going in with guns blazing is right. But in order to get the job done, our military should have been able to send in all our special force groups to do their jobs fast and forcefully. They train for it. They know how to do it. I believe it would have gotten done, done right, done so much faster. We wouldn't be where we are now. Those countries, all involved, wouldn't be where they are now, in the states they are.

Now, if he didn't give up info from the water boarding, there are more tactics they can use. There is a course the military uses to train some soldiers, they know all about tactics that may be used on them.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:13 PM on May. 3, 2011