Pitbulls are very misunderstood at times...

just want to know some opinons out there on whos for or against pitbulls as a family dog and why....

meilasmama

Asked by meilasmama at 11:48 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Pets

• I watch Pit Boss and Hercules has me convinced that they are good dogs. Its just people that turn them aggressive.

booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:49 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree. There are actually some Pit bulls that can make wonderful pets. It all depends on their environment and how a person is raising them. I hate seeing animals tearing each other to shreds just because someone thinks its an easy way to make a quick buck or because they think its exciting..
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 11:50 AM on May. 3, 2011

• i am against people leaving them unsupervised around small children/infants. but that goes for any breed of dog. i think a pitbull is a great dog but i personally wouldn't consider getting one until my children were older.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:51 AM on May. 3, 2011

• i agree with tnm786 completely. my husband up and bought a dog about a month ago (american bulldog), and while they're not the same as a pitbull they're not far off . i was worried and pretty upset cuz i told him i wanted to wait till the kids were older, on account of the dominance and potential aggression and all that. turns out the dog is great, and as long as oyu have a loving (not abusive) pack leader for them they should turn out fine. they're very protective of their familes and i think kids more than adults. my dog's a puppy now so i dont leave her with the kids alone cuz she nips and scratches by accident too much but once she's older i dont think i'll leave them together unsupervised until my kids are old enough to defend themselves. that would go for any breed though.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Personally, I am not a great dog trainer. I don't want a dog that has the strength to kill me. I want to be able to pick my dog up if he is playing rough. If you are a fantastic dog trainer, then go for a pitbull. Personally, I want a cute cuddly dog that I know won't rip my kid's face off.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Good friends of ours just got a rotweiller. They are great at training this dog. It convinced me that if you know what you are doing, this kind of dog can be a loving family member. I don't trust myself enough to work with a dog so that it becomes a sweet baby.
    Anonymous

• Pitties are a great breed, and contrary to popular belief they are not hard to train. In the early history of breeding these dogs for the fighting pits they were bred to be very responsive to humans and easily trained. Just think of a fighting pit, the handlers had to regain control of their dogs in the heat of battle. This breed is not a danger to humans, humans are a danger to this breed.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:25 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I think it's how they are raised, treated, and if they were abused or not. All dogs can turn on people if mistreated. All animals for that matter. Animals get punished when it should be the human in charge being punished. Animals don't do things to be malicious like humans do, they always have a reason behind what they do. Pit bulls are one of the only dogs that can be reformed into good family pets after being traumatized. I think instead of being in a hurry to euthanize an animal, we should be in more of a hurry to euthanize rapists, killers, and child molesters.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:26 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I am because I've seen them turn same with rots
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:26 PM on May. 3, 2011

• mompam's comments are inflammatory and based on misinformation. I would not leave ANY dog alone with a child! The animals cannot be held responsible for a child falling on them, stepping on their paws or pulling on their fur. It is an accident waiting to happen and irresponsible.  Pits are dangerous when they are trained to be or mistreated.  They have the jaw strength to do real damage.  When treated with kindness and love, as part of your family they are extremely loyal.  My Pit Jack is a timid and hides behind me.  He is docile even with his food.  Animals have personalities like people.  There are bad pits, just like there are bad people.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:57 PM on May. 3, 2011