Has anyone's child had a tonsillectomy?

My daughter, 4, is scheduled for a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in a few weeks because of obstruction. They are doing it with coblation. Has anyone recently gone through this with a child?

What can I expect with the procedure and the healing?

I am calm on the outside, but "FREAKING OUT" on the inside . . . she definately needs it, but the thought of her having to go through that is maiking me so anxious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yep two of my kids had it done. I will tell you my youngest dd was 3 when she had hers and healed very very quickly so catching this early was really a good thing for you and your child! My son didnt have his done until he was 8 and it was alot worse for him.

Basically you go in and theyll do the surgery and have them in recovery a bit, and then move them into a room. Depending on the hospital and where you live you could stay over night. We stayed over with my dd due to her age it was mandatory. My son however went home after 9 hours. Theyll be sore and have pain meds. It was hard for me to see them like that, but they heal real fast. Stay calm mama!

Answer by gemgem at 12:11 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Aww, poor kiddo :`( My child hasn't had the operation, but I personally had both procedures at a young age. I may have been 7 or so. I had stitches in the back of my throat that were painful at times, and I couldn't talk the first day. As I began to speak, I sounded funny. I was so sick all the time before the operation, and hardly ever sick afterward. It was so helpful for me and I'm so glad I had it done. As a parent, I would be sure to have plenty of liquid foods on hand, maybe stuff to make cold drinks like fruit smoothies. Maybe print out some pics of common needs such as drink, food, etc., so she can point to the pics and get her needs met. Sucking on ice is also helpful. Stock up on children's pain reliever. GL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My son has and it was a simple procedure. He stayed in the hospital overnight. He was sore the first week, but then he was fine. No running, jumping or riding a bike the first 2 weeks. NO stitches. Have plenty of fluids and soft foods on hand. My son HATED cold liquids on his throat and prefered room temp liquids and foods. My son was given liquid pain killers from the doctor which helped a lot. Contact the hospital and see if you can take her for a tour before the surgery. The nurses are amazing at putting kids and moms at ease. The tour really helped my son stay calm (me too!) If it's a children's hospital, they may give your daughter a teddy bear and certificate for bravery!!! I still have mine from when I had my tonsils out in 1976!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My sister had hers removed when she was 3 and she bounced back pretty quickly. Good luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:50 PM on May. 3, 2011

• no
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:49 AM on May. 4, 2011

• no
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 4:24 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My dd had her tonsils and adenoids out when she was 2. The biggest problem we had was she still had a bottle and couldn't suck on it so she got a little dehydrated but thankfully didn't have to go back to the hospital.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 7:56 PM on May. 7, 2011

• no but I did and it took a week to recover and couldn't talk out loud for that same length of time
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:33 AM on May. 9, 2011

• not my kids, but I remember when I was little my brother did & he bounced back pretty quickly. hugs mama!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:11 PM on May. 9, 2011

• my children have not had to have it done yet. good luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:23 PM on May. 11, 2011