Semen causing contractions? adult content

I had sex with my DH last night and have been contracting and achy on and off since. I waited it all out cause I had a prenatal appt this morning. Well it turns out that my DH's semen is causing the contractions. Told us to wear a condom for the remainder of the pregnancy to prevent that...has/is anyone else going through that, or have heard of it?

dolphingoddess

Asked by dolphingoddess at 11:52 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Semen contains prostaglandins, which cause the cervix to "ripen." Semen can help the cervix to dilate and efface by depositing these prostaglandins directly on the cervix.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Semen releases chemicals that cause your cervix to soften. Orgasms can cause contractions
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 PM on May. 3, 2011

• now this one confuses me.. I'm not entirely sure if semen can cause contractions..
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 11:57 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Thats what I thought...but my midwife said that there is some chemical that can cause the pre term labor for woman who are sensitive to it..apparently I am?
    dolphingoddess

Comment by dolphingoddess (original poster) at 11:59 AM on May. 3, 2011

• i've heard of that chemical part of it, but on the other hand i've also heard that it might have to do with orgasms or something (the contracting of the muscles... not sure how it works). i'd wear the condom though or atleast use the pull out method
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:09 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Ive never heard of semen having something to do with it but i have heard that sex helps induce labor
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:52 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Yeah I am only 22wks and 4days, I dont want to induce labor quite yet lol
    dolphingoddess

Comment by dolphingoddess (original poster) at 12:53 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Semen ripens the cervix and sex releases oxytonin (i think thats how you spell it) a hormone that can trigger contractions
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I have heard this as well. I don't really remember when I was preggo with my first, but this time it seems I have more braxton hicks contractions after sex. Could be the semen, could be the orgasm....
    mamawhit

Answer by mamawhit at 5:05 PM on May. 3, 2011