911 need answers quick please

Son came down with a rash on Sunday looked more like welts on his body. Took him to the dr yesterday she said it looks like an allergic reaction. Give him Benedryl. So I have been, rash is still there. Last night was his last dose. Woke up this morning and its even worse and his feet are swollen and now the palms of his hands and soles of his feet have the rash.

DH took the car to work so if I take him to ER I have to call a cab and find someone to watch my 2 year old since we don't have her carseat on hand. Should I give him more benedryl? I don't know what an allergic reaction looks like but shouldn't it have gone away by now? Any thing else I left out please tell me I'm kind of panicking right now

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 11:56 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Health

• I'd call the doctor back and let them know what's going on. If they say to take him to the ER can you not call your DH and have him take a family emer day?
    TxMom2324

Answer by TxMom2324 at 11:58 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Is he breathing alright? If it is worse he needs to be seen, but is there an advice nurse or the docter who saw him yesterday who you could call and talk to? I would call first unless it is an emergency. Can you call your husband and tell him what is going on?
    Alexis124

Answer by Alexis124 at 12:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Could be Fifths Disease (just a certain type of rash, not serious to him), could be Foot and Mouth Disease (another not serious to him rash), could be Impetigo, there are so many things that it could be. If he's breathing fine, don't expect it to be an emergency, wait for the doctor to call you back. If his breathing doesn't sound right or he has a super high temperature, then take him to the ER. A low grade temperature would be normal with those things I listed. Also keep him away from pregnant women until you have a diagnosis because some of those 'diseases' can be harmful to fetuses.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:04 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Look up pics to hand foot and mouth disease. My son had that, and the blisters look like teeny tiny welts. My son had it in his mouth, and one on his wrist. It's common for it to be on the feet and hands, especially the soles and palms. Benadryl will do nothing for it, since it's the coxsackie (sp?) virus. If he's breathing okay, and acting normal, I wouldn't take him to the ER yet. I hope you get answers soon!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:19 PM on May. 3, 2011

• He just started working at this company one week and 3 days ago. And I called the dr and she hasn't returned my call yet
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 11:59 AM on May. 3, 2011

• call his doctor and let them know what happened and see if he wants you come in or can prescribe something else. i'm pretty sure he will want you to come in to see how it looks.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 11:59 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Yeah he's breathing fine. I am on the line with the drs office I had her paged over a half hour ago and she hasn't called back and now her drs office is saying she wont be in until 10. They just told me they are going to try and get ahold of her and call me back.
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 12:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• call an emergency room,they can help u. Ask to talk to a doctor or nurse.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

• i'd say call your husband and let him know what's going on, give him the choice or atleast let him bring it up to his boss. some people are more understanding than others. it's not like he has a cold or something he's breaking out with full body rashes. honestly if it were an emergency like if he's having trouble breathing i'd take my 2 year old in the cab too forget wasting time looking for a babysitter
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would call someone to sit with the two year old and take the other child into the ER. If you have to call an ambulance. They can at least take your son in while you make arrangements for you 2 year old. and an emergency is an emergency.. what if it is an allergy and he starts to develop breathing problems..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:08 PM on May. 3, 2011