Money orders

I just purchased a money order to pay our rent and with my husband deploying I am moving out of our home (we rent) the owners had called us after we already filled out the money order and told me they didn't need to money from us for the rent since we were leaving. What do I do now? I called the place that sold us the money order and they were not much help. They told us to have the owners cash it and give us the money, but they live out of state. I tried calling money gram, but all I get is a recorded message and cannot get to a real person. Ugh, I don't know what to do. We need the money to move.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 11:59 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can cash it. U just write on the back something about the money order not going where it was intended. Take it to a bank or the place u got it from.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• You can endorse it "not used for intended purposes" and cash it where you bought it.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Take it back to where you bought it and they can stamp is, "not for intended purposes" and they can give you your money back. Atleast at a bank you can.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:07 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I already filled it out, also.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on May. 3, 2011

• they need to send you the money back...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:35 PM on May. 3, 2011

• u still have it? cash it like the ladies said. shaould not be a problem...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:37 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I did that before and took it back to where I purchased it and got my money back.
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 4:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• We do moneygram at my work and this happens all the time. You will need to take the money order as well as the stub to where you purchased it and your receipt as well ( hopefully you still have it). Then the store needs to call moneygram to confirm the money order has not been cashed. When moneygram confirms it the store should be able to cash it for you. I don't remember if you get the fee back.
    Taryl_Marie

Answer by Taryl_Marie at 5:17 PM on May. 3, 2011

• if you still have the original receipt they should have no problem refunding it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 11:36 PM on May. 3, 2011