What's the difference between happines and joy?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:01 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Happiness lasts longer, but something that brings happiness can also take it away (like your husband lol). Joy is short, and something that brings you joy will always bring you joy in some way even if you're disappointed in it (like your kids). Thats my opinion lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 12:08 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Real joy comes to us from the inside of our very being. Happiness is more dependent upon external circumstances. I would say that joy is a gift and happiness is a choice.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Joy, IMO, is something deeper than just happiness.... I don't really know how to explain it.

I like this quote, though :
    Joy's smile is much closer to tears than laughter. - Victor Hugo
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:27 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Happiness is an outward display of an inner feeling and joy is a greater degree of the same.

Answer by older at 12:28 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I think of joy as something deeper and more long term. I think of happiness as fleeting or temporary. Also, happiness is probably more likely to be based on external circumstances, while joy is from within. I guess joy is an extension of happiness in a sense though, and I'm sure many people use the words interchangeably.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:51 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would say the enthusiasm behind the emotion. I can be calm and happy, when you are full of joy, it is apparent in your attitude, face, movement, etc.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:57 PM on May. 3, 2011

• to me happiness is simple, like a good meal or finding $20 in an old purse. but joy is major, like a baby being born or a soldier returning from war. i guess joy is a long term version of happiness, happiness on a grand scale...joy changes your life.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:24 PM on May. 3, 2011