Did you have your tonsils removed because you kept getting strep?

If so, how many times did you catch it in a year? Did the tonsilectomy help?

My son tested positive for strep for the 4th time this "winter" season. I made a phone call to his doctor already and am waiting on a phone call back (we went to a walk-in last night). I'm wondering if we should just keep him struggling through this, or if we should go for the tonsilectomy if it's suggested.

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 12:17 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My daughter and son had their tonsills and adnoids removed due to strep and after a consult with ENT. The daughter never got strep again and our son has not got it again either. I heard getting tonsills removed could lead to later problems of obesity, but I don't remember if the article quoted was research based. The recovery for our daughter was much longer than our son, but basically for three weeks they are out of sports and taking it easy. Treat the pain, if you get it done... then throw out any left over pain medication. Our son did not really need much pain meds until day three, but just under two weeks post op when the scabs are coming off our daughter bled more than a few TBSP of blood and we made a few late night trips to the ER. You have to watch them close and keep them from activity, so we waited until the sport he was playing season ended.
    Alexis124

Answer by Alexis124 at 1:59 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My nephew had it 4-5 times in two months, tonsils came out. Even if your dr says no, I would take with ENT as soon as you can.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:18 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My niece and nephew had their removed for that reason and they still get strep but it manifests at Impetigo, which is a skin infection that is still contagious. So it just manifests differently. They still miss the same amount of school and are sick just as often.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Im 25 and mine were removed about 10years ago. It was the best thing that ever happened to me! Sadly enough doctors dont seem to use that method anymore! It may be different in some states but in my experience with my niece . . . we've had no luck finding a doctor that will take them out knowing it would benifit the person that is constantly sick! Good luck!
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 12:26 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My daughter had hers removed last year due to apnea. The problem right now is that in my immediate area, there are only 2 ENT docs that will accept my insurance and one is out on medical leave. So the wait to get in is 3 months! :( I just hate seeing him suffer with it constantly!
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 12:30 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Renee, I am so sorry that your son is going through that. I just was at the ENT last week with my daughter, and is suggesting removal for her. She has had many viral infections and strep twice this season. He said that antibiotics can't always clear it from the tonsils, and the strep will harbour there. Systemically, it can start to affect other areas of the body. He said the treatment is removal.

I went through a huge process with my HMO because they only had 1 preferred provider in our area, and we wound up getting her approved for another provider who has an excellent reputation.

Please feel free to PM me if you want some suggestions on how to speed things along with your insurance. . . and/or fight for approval with a new provider who can see him more quickly.

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:40 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I got mine out for chronic tonsilitis when I was about 8. I had it probably 3-5 times a winter season. I was always told that it had no bearing on strep throat...that I would still get that...bu that I wouldn't have the tonsilitis anymore.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:48 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I had them removed along with my adnoids and tubes put in my ears when I was 5. I was getting it a few times every month along with the fact my tonsils were so swollen I only had the room of a straw to breath out of. Definately not fun....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:54 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Never even had a doc offer to remove for that. And me and DD get strep once or twice a year.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:31 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It's normal to get it once or twice a year. But to get it consistently, it's not.
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 1:33 PM on May. 3, 2011