What are some precautions you've taken after a home break in?

It happened to us the week between Christmas and New Years. We were out of town ( hrs away)at my in laws and my FIL was put in the hospital so we stayed longer than we expected (1 week). All of the windows were locked with the little tabs that fold out so that the window cannot be pushed down even if it were open. Both doors deadbolted. Somebody mangled the front door until the locks were completely distorted so they could get in. The only thing we have done since then is keep the porch light on and replace the front door. Nothing was taken. Police haven't heard anything. My car was even left in the driveway so it had to be someone nearby that saw we weren't home in a while. If they were after drugs or cash they were in the wrong place. My step dad even checked on it for us and said the locks were fine. It must have happened a day or two before we came home. I think we should have left the porch light one but if they wanted in they would have done it somehow. What are some things you thought of afterwards?

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 12:22 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Our home has never been broken into, but my husband breaks into houses every day for work. When he first started this job, it scared me how easily he gained access to houses, and we did a complete security overhaul on our own house. We have thumb locks on all the sliding windows, double sided dead bolts on the doors (key to get in and key to get out), hotel style security bars, and touch alarms. They are screaming loud.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• We had a break in just over a year ago where our wii and our games to it were taken. They were sitting out within plain view of the front door, and the door was not locked...or at least I don't think it was. There wasn't any sign of forced entry. They didn't go through anything, and that was all that was taken, but I didn't notice it right away. It was after the kids were in bed that night that I went to tidy up and realized it was missing. It was frightening to think that someone thought they could do something like that and invade my home for a game! Aside from reporting it and being more careful about locking our doors, I didn't change a lot. I will say that for a few days I made my daughters sleep in my room because I did not like the idea that there were 2 doors between our room and their room. It made me reconsider my hard stance against us keeping our guns in the house though.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:47 PM on May. 3, 2011

• We've never had a break-in, but I feel sorry for the people who think they'll try. With an american bulldog weighing in at 115 pounds, and an american pitbull, my security alarm is the least of their concerns! =D
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:25 PM on May. 3, 2011

• When I was growing up our house was broken into after my daddy died and my mom went back to work. We lived way out in the country and didn't have any neighbors. We had deadbolts on the front and back door, but not the garage door so they punched a hole through the glass and turned the lock. We had a deadbolt installed on that door. They came back a 2nd time by breaking a window out. After that, my mom had a security system installed (for free - she had been dating my stepdad by that point and he knew how to wire it).
    We have a security system in our house.

Answer by missanc at 12:26 PM on May. 3, 2011

• haha i thought of that! we have no security alarm, no dog. i think those are the only things that keeps any home safe!
    ThatBoysMom

Comment by ThatBoysMom (original poster) at 12:27 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Dogs and upgrading the locks on the doors.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:28 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Definitely a dog with a big bark. Instant scare.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:46 PM on May. 3, 2011

• well, no matter where you are hav common sence. ALWAYS lock your doors and windows. Have motion detector lights. Maybe a guard dog? You may think your safe, but no matter where you are you are not.
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 12:46 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I have never experienced this, but we have deadbolts and window sensors in case.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:04 PM on May. 3, 2011