What I need to know to get my daughter ready for kingergarten

Ok my daughter starts school this year, Sept. I'm nervous because I've been home with her since she was born, I have not worked also. I'm nervous for the simple fact shes never been around many babysitter, so shes not used to being away from Mommy or Daddy. So I dont want her to be shy when she starts school, I want her to be able to talk with everyone. Has anyone had a child or children that was very shy and it might be hard to leave her at school her first few days. I just feel so bad!

Princesaof1

Asked by Princesaof1 at 12:28 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First of all, don't let her see that you are nervous! A lot of how she feels is going to be based on how you feel. If you talk about it positively and sound excited about it, then that's how she will be. It's so hard. When I dropped my oldest off at kindergarten I was crying so hard I got into an accident in the school parking lot as I was leaving! :) Good times . . .

Answer by missanc at 12:29 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Aww omg I'm so sorry for your accident..Yeah I'm def going to be positive about it and crying in the inside!
    Princesaof1

Comment by Princesaof1 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My kids all did Pre-K to prepare them for Kinder. By the time they went into Kinder they knew the drill and what school meant. In Pre-k almost all of them did cry the first day, but one thing you need to be ready for is to leave even if she is crying. The teacher NEEDS you to do that or itll be worse. Trust me, it is worse when a parent stays behind for a crying child whose going to just keep on crying as long as mommy is there. After you leave they usually ALL stop crying. She will be fine too because the teachers and assistants are trained to get the kids to open up and be alright.

Answer by gemgem at 12:56 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Just start talking about what will be happening and maybe practice some this summer.
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 2:50 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Get her into preschool or some program for the next few months a couple days a week to help adjust her to a classroom as well as interacting with others her age.... I agree - DON'T let her see you nervous. Make it a fun and positive experience

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 6:35 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I'm a psychotherapist and behavioral special working in an early childhood center. I find that many of the Pre K parents are sharing the same concerns that you have! You may really find this article helpful. "Is Your Child REALLY ready for Kindergarten?"
    http://www.helpmealison.com/kindergarten--is-your-child-ready.html
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:00 PM on May. 6, 2011