Violent video games?

Do you let your children play violent video games? In another question in the P&CE section there is a question about if they should release the photo of Bin Laden dead. One of the mom's pulled a quote off facebook that reads...

"American's can handle the pics.. Have you seen the ps2 games our 10 year olds are playing these days. RELEASE THE PICS!!! "

It really struck me, because those games are not allowed in our home. So to use that as reason to release the photos is bizarre imo.

What are your thoughts?

Also if you do, what kind of restriction do you place on them? Age? Time limit?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 12:31 PM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope... age appropriate games. That's why they are rated
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 4:20 PM on May. 3, 2011

• No, no violent games are allowed in my house. Yes, I want to see him dead just to ease my mind.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:33 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My son has been playing them since he was small. He isn't some freaky crazed violent maniac because of it.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:36 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I don't understand why we even make violent video games and yes I would like to see the pics because it seems like it would make it more real if we saw some evidence.
    darter

Answer by darter at 12:39 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My daughter plays some of her dad's more violent games. I have no problem with it. She doesn't have issues with violence and knows they're just pretend games with pretend bad guys. The way I see it is the more you shelter them from it, the more they're going to want to do it and they'll get their chance at a friends house or relatives house.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:43 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I absolutely will allow violent games.
    And I don't really care about the pics either way.
    lollipoplamia

Answer by lollipoplamia at 12:46 PM on May. 3, 2011

• there are ratings on games for a reason if parents allow their children to play the M rated games, that's their problem not mine
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:59 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I have 5 kids, 2 are raised, 1 is almost 18, and then I also have an 11 and 6 yr old. I can say that they have almost always played violent video games and so far no one has gone on a shooting rampage, bombed anything, committed murder or robbed anyone. Most games are allowed in my home, but all games are restricted to a time limit. My kids have to be well balanced. They can only play games for so long, they have to read every night, draw, play outside and all of that. No one is allowed to sit for hours on a game system.

Answer by gemgem at 12:59 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My children have no restrictions on anything. They can play/watch whatever they want. Because I don't set limits for them, they are great at recognizing their own personal limits. When something is too scary, they turn it off, or leave the room.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:04 PM on May. 3, 2011

• seriously....its a game,tell them its not real and is only a game...same with violent movies/scary movies

and i could care less about the pictures
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 1:18 PM on May. 3, 2011