Wow, I don't know what to do.

I have worked since i graduated high school, and everywhere i have worked it has always been about customer service. To help the customer. Well, now i work for the county in the district clerk office and it is the exact opposite. The ladies in here especially the boss are so mean and do not help the customers. And i just have trouble not being helpful. For example this morning a lawyer called and wanted to know the new cause number for a case that had been severed. So i was helping him, and she tole me no that that is a search and he needs to send his request in writing and with a $5.00 search fee. Which i thought was rediculous because we work with that case everyday and knew the cause number.we didn't have to search for it like it was an old case. And yesterday there was a guy ip her but he was in the wrong department and she told him he needed to bo back and do his research to see what department he needed to be in instead of just helpiong him. I have trouble working around so much negativity. would you look for aother job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I understand what you are saying but looking for another job in this economy is hard, I would stay put until something better comes along, you are lucky to have found this one!

Answer by older at 12:34 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Yes I would. There is no reason that anyone should not do what they can especially if it isn't causing them any more work to help someone else.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:35 PM on May. 3, 2011

• that's tough i'd stick it out a little longer, maybe consider going to a higher authority and reporting the problem anonymously, or confronting your boss about it since you're considering leaving anyway. it's not like you're complaining about working too much or something.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:35 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I might be looking but as you've no doubt recently experienced; jobs are hard to come by. It's easier to get used to the negativity than unemployment. Be careful.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:40 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Definitely look for another job if you're unhappy. Just don't quit the one you have until you've got something else lined up.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:53 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would start looking for something else, just dont quit. have u ever thought about your own business? if so, message me...i have a suggestion
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:33 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would. Like you, I have been in customer relations type jobs since graduating high school. I don't think I could stand working there...as I was reading this, I was already clenching my fists and jaw!
    DON'T just "get used to the negativity". It isn't good for your mental health, and all that will do is drag you down along with everyone else there.
    You don't want it to turn into one of those jobs where you leave screaming everyday.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 3:20 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Personally, I'd hate to see you go. I've gotten the run around from government people so many times and would love to meet up with someone who's actually there to serve, that treats customers like people.

From what I've read, government jobs actually have a bit bettter pay and much better benefits than the private sector. But if you feel it's not worth it, do what you have top do, they may just drag you down. I know a bunch of people who have been in your situation and it's hard to be kind when the herd is against you. Two of them took early retirement. Two are still plugging away.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 8:24 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Having been in public sector public service for several years, it always pains me to read about people like those you have to work with. Everywhere I've worked we've emphasized customer service and really tried to beat the poor reputation public employees have--in your co-workers' case, sadly justified. Is there another division you could work in? As oddfox said just above me, the benefits in govt jobs, particularly the longer you stick with it, do improve. I'd think that you'd be an asset to any team. I wish you the best of luck with this!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:40 PM on May. 4, 2011