Help! I Need some advice on my 7yr olds attitude problem!

I have a 7yr old lil boy and he's a good kid , does well in school, and doesnt get into trouble, but when he gets home, he gets an attitude when i ask him to do stuff he whines and complains and well just simply argues with me about everything! Ive tried grounding him, no tv, and nothing seems to work! Help!

supermom_29

Asked by supermom_29 at 12:47 PM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• my son is 6 1/2 and we have a similar problem. In my sons case I'm under the impression he's exhausted and overwhelmed from the day and is unintentionally taking it out on me.

only recently did we finally tweak our afterschool rules to the point they work for us
    snack immediately upon walking in the door (protein and carbs and as long as there's no bad notes from the teacher in his bag, usually a hershey kiss or 2) and talking about BOTH our days, the good and the bad
    we then organize any homework he may have or not have
    I then have a MANDATORY 30 minute cool down time in bed. It can be with a book, soft toy, or a toy like a magna doodle that has no batteries/electronics. If he's bored the whole 30 minutes then so be it. If he sleeps, he sleeps. If he stays in bed and is quiet, he then earns outside/bike/movie/tv/etc time.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• You definitely need a routine. If you don't have one that's probobly it. Otherwise I would try a different form of punishment. My nine year old does yard work when he talks back or is otherwise disrespectful. My five year old scrubs cookie sheets with a Brillo pad. They hate it! They know that's what happens if they give me an attitude, and that's the most important part. You have to be consistent in when and how you punish a child.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:15 PM on May. 3, 2011