My sons a bully! Help!

I have a 7 yr old lil boy, and he is ok when hes playin wit the older kids that live around the neighbor hood, but when his friend comes over thats 6yrs old, he gets bossy, and well just treats the child mean. Ive talked with him and explained u can't treat people that way, and so on and told him he wouldn't have neone stay over too if he continues, but I don't think it is working. I've tried makin him write sentences, and going to bed early, and groundings from toys, and even spanking which is my last resort . Any one got any ideas? on what i should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Some children just feel the need to be the one in charge. My step son is like this and nothing we have done works. My best idea is to keep talking to him about it and to follow through with not allowing the friend to come over if he continues to be mean. We also bought some childrens books on teasing and bullying to show from a different perspective. good luck!
    maybaby22

Answer by maybaby22 at 12:59 PM on May. 3, 2011

• well, is that kid mean to him? watch as they play. The second he gets mean YANK him away, tell him what he is doign wrong and say, your friend is going home because you are being mean. Then put him in timeout/quiet time. take things away. If all else fails put him in counsling.
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 1:01 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Manual labor. When nothing else works put them to work. Have him do somthing that's physical like dig a hole and than make it monotonous and or pointless. Like dig another hole to fill the last one and repeat. They spend the entire exercise thinking about how miserable they are and how they never want to do that again. I get alot of my weeding done this way. If outside chores aren't an option than have him scrub grout or base boards. The possibilities are endless. Once he figures out that you aren't going to run out of ways to make him miserable, he'll stop.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Start asking him how he would feel if he was the other child. I agree with reading a book on bullying there is a cute easy one called "Don't be a bully, Billy". A 7 year old would understand this book. It has cute pictures and it lets you see what bullying looks like if you are not in the situation. It's hard to parent no matter which side of the situation you are on.
    emzmom568

Answer by emzmom568 at 1:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• What my parents told my sister when she was bullying me when we were young had a pretty profound effect. My parents told her that there are 3 types of people- heroes, villains, and victims. Villains get punished by heroes. Heroes get thanked and friended by victims. Which sounds better? Being a villain or a hero?

I can tell you my sister started defending me from then on.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:12 PM on May. 3, 2011