Does facebook affect your relationship w/ DH/SO in any way??

I see posts all the time concerning facebook and how it affects all these parts of people's lives (here on cm). I don't get it, my SO and I both have it and I wouldn't get rid of it, nor ever tell him he should. We live in CA, but are from Boston- so we have friends all over the country- its the best way to keep in touch. Sure I don't like when old girlfriends try to reconnect with him, but that's few and far in between, and I trust him. Plus, we both avoid drama on all levels. So just curious if/how its affected any of you??

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 12:58 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Lord have mercy, this drives me nuts when people complain about facebook. Not your post of course, but when people complain as you mentioned of talking to an old girlfriend, or any woman for that matter. Who cares. It's facebook for cryin out loud, and if there's a strong relationship and trust I just don't understand the jealousy over it.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:08 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I have one and my DH doesn't. It has never affected our relationship and it has been a great way for me to reconnect with old friends. My DH knows who I talk to on facebook and he totally trusts me just as I would totally trust him if he had a facebook account. So no facebook doesn't bother us. My DH doesn't have an account by choice not because I told him not to have one.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Ive hit a bump where it did affect things but we both have eachothers logins now and there havent been any issues in a LONG time
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:01 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It doesn't affect us at all, we keep in contact with our friends and family that we don't get to talk to very often. I learned a long time ago to get rid of the drama and those who cause no matter who it is.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:01 PM on May. 3, 2011

• We both have a Facebook account, but my husband HATES when ex boyfriends contact me. Funny thing is that I really could care less if they want to be my friend or not so I normally add them and then never say anything to them. I don't really care what they are doing or I would be with them NOW. He would never tell me to delete them or not to be friends with someone, but just expresses the stupidity X's contacting in general. I understand why some people complain because there are chances of people connecting and having affairs, but there has to be trust in your relationship!!!!!
    f1tmama

Answer by f1tmama at 1:11 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My husband and I both have an account and it doesn't affect our relationship at all.

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My DH and I both have a FB account, and it doesn't bother either one of us. He is able to talk to his family, who live in another country, a lot more than he did before. And I have the ability to keep up with my family all over the country. Most of the people on my friends list are my family who don't live near me. And the same with DH. Certainly there have been a few friends he questioned or ones I have questioned, but we have never had any problems because of it. I trust him and he trusts me.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:16 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I never understood what trouble it could cause. We both have one, I doubt that he has ever looked at my friends list and I haven't looked at his. I don't see how it would effect our relationship at all, he has his own cell phone and that doesn't matter. He can have is own life and friends that have nothing to do with me. I think that is where the trouble starts
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 1:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My DH and I both have FB accounts and it doesn't negatively impact our relationship. We have over 30 mutual friends, not including family, and he's free to look at my stuff just like I can look at his. We don't hide anything like that. Facebook doesn't cause problems, if your spouse is using FB to talk/hook up/meet other women than the problem was there before FB and that's why I'm sick of women who blame FB for their relationship problems. FB is fun for us, we comment back and forth on each other's status, friend's statuses and photos. We post goofy stuff to each other's walls and use it to keep in touch with family and friends. I have relatives/friends in in 6 US states, as well as Italy, Ireland, Scotland, Denmark and England. My DH has relatives/friends in 8 US states, as well as Ireland, England, Norway and Greece. Facebook keeps us all connected.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 3:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I dont think it effects us at all in a negative way.
    I know hubby gets praises from my family for treating me so good.
    As far as ex's go.... we know both of each others and they really dont have a part in our life now. So, if a message is sent between its purely out of just stopping in to say hi and seeing how the other is doing in their new lives.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 3:57 PM on May. 3, 2011