How do you feel about this?

On the morning radio show I listen to here they were talking about, what else, Osamas shot in the head. And the subject of who should/shouldn't take credit for the operation. The host's opinion on it is that ALL Americans should, since it was American troops that did it. (IDK what Navy personnel are called) I personally do NOT feel this way. I don't think Obama should be given credit either. I think he should be given credit for giving the 'go-ahead' for the mission. But, I feel the only one's that should be given credit for the deed are the one's that were involved with the operation. ACTUALLY involved. The CIA, the SEALS, and whoever else was there. I can't imagine how this host can put together in that bald head of his why all Americans should take credit for it. Can anyone else?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 1:09 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess I look at it as who cares, it's done it's over with it was a Team effort from a lot of people...He (Usama or however you spell it, it is different on every news channel) is now getting the fame he wanted...he's on every news station, his face is on every paper, and everyone is thinking about him or talking about him....He's dead, why give him more than that even in death?
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:11 PM on May. 3, 2011

• This mission was abandoned, Obama ordered a new mission with the express purpose of capturing and or killing OBL....

it worked.

I give all the military credit, the ones that will never come home, will come home injured, or whole...Our intel community and the President and his administration that had a hand in this.

I thank them ALL..they all played a role

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:16 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Sweets - the mission was never abandoned in a "we're not looking at all" way. Just because it wasn't broadcast or declared primary mission doesn't mean it wasn't happening. That said I agree with your sentiment that all who worked towards this end over the last 10 years should be credited with this week's success.

OP - I bet the balding radio host is the sort of sports fan that says things like "We won the Super Bowl" too. When I was taking social psychology in college we did a whole chapter on the "align with a winner" mind set that moves people to take ownership of another's accomplishments by identifying as part of the group through some link. As in a sports fan, an American, etc. *I* did not risk my life being dropped off in that compound, nor did I search and fight for 40 mins, nor did I pull teh trigger that put the bullet in Bin Laden's head. *I* did not do this. I applaud those that did have a role in the last 10 yrs
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:24 PM on May. 3, 2011

Somebody has been on Huffington Post too much

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:30 PM on May. 3, 2011

• who the hell cares about who gets credit? It's done, it's done! What are they fighting over? a trophy? who gives a fuck! assholes behind a desk are gonna fight over it while the men in uniform that do their dirty work get shit on.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 1:31 PM on May. 3, 2011

Because if SOME politicize it, they can gain votes in 2012...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:40 PM on May. 3, 2011

• >Because if SOME politicize it, they can gain votes in 2012...<

Or more likely they will gain leads in the polls today. History indicates the impact on actual votes over a year from now will likely be negligible. The Camp David Accords and Desert Storm circa 1991 as exhibits A and B. ;)

BUT, I agree that some will attempt to politicize with the hopes that it pays off in a year. I also agree that bickering over which side of the aisle gets a pat on the back is pointless.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:51 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Abandoned! You have got to freaking kidding me?! What a slap in the face to all the men and women that have worked tirelessly for a decade to make this possible. Jeez sweet, sometimes you sink all the way to the bottom of the pit don't you?

With the economy and everything else a mess this will be long forgotten by the time election day rolls around. BO might get an uptick in ratings for a week or so but that is it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Jeez sweet, sometimes you sink all the way to the bottom of the pit don't you?

Just when we think she has hit bottom.... She continues to dig deeper...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Most Americans are quite content to allow the military to defend them, preserve their rights and freedoms, and in general suck up what the US offers without contributing. Half the country is content to skate with either paying no taxes, or getting a refund far above what they even paid in. There is NO way I would give credit to the average American (tax paying or not) for what a very few individuals worked so hard for. Many have died to achieve this, and this whackjob's assessment is an insult to those men and women, as well as their families imo. It's an insult to every soldier and their family.

Those of you who actually believe that looking for BL was EVER tabled/abandoned show exactly how deep the ignorance about our military runs. You don't know squat ... and you definitely aren't qualified to do anything besides show your ignorance.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:28 PM on May. 3, 2011