What can I do

To get rid of creeping myrtle? It's over taking my entire garden. Killed all my other plants, including the one ds planted his first earth day. :(. We have cute it, dug it, sprayed what we could without spraying other plants.... It is now trying to kill our rose bush that dhs grandmother planted.

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 1:42 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You really do have to keep at it. Anything that vines can be so tough to get rid of. I had this problem with morning glories. They would not stop and would pop up in crazy places no place where I planted them. If you just keep going, you will eventually get rid of them. Good luck.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:09 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Do you have a county extension agent office? If so, you might call and ask them what to do. I've not dealt with it, but that's what I would do. Hope you are able to get rid of it!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:45 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would wait until the temperatures are going to be in the 70's for several days. Cut them off at ground level or thereabouts. Drill holes in the remaining trunks with the largest bit you have, as far as the bit will allow. Fill the holes with 100% Roundup. This will kill the root system and keep roots that you miss from sprouting later on. Otherwise, you will have crape myrtle sprouts coming up 5 years after you remove the shrubs. After several weeks have gone by, then get down and dirty and get the roots out the best way you can.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:49 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Grass-B-Gon  but  be careful. Go here for more info    http://www.ehow.com/how_8295134_rid-grass-purple-myrtle.html

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 1:56 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Also this you tube video, bad commercial at the start  http://wn.com/Creeping_Myrtle

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 2:01 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Pull it out by the root.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:49 PM on May. 3, 2011

• You are going to have to forgo a garden for a while and just round up the heck out of it. And then put weed cloth down before starting a new garden.

Creeping Myrtle aka Common Periwinkle aka Vinca Minor is a very aggressive plant and need aggressive tactics to get rid of it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:20 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Just keep at it - eventually you will eradicate it.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:53 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Keep at it!
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 7:07 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree keep at it. :/ go for the root system.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:42 PM on May. 5, 2011