Has anyone ever had a child skip a grade/class?

My son is going into 6th grade next year, but his math AG teacher suggested having him tested to see if he can skip 6th grade math and go into the 7th grade math class. I know he's very mathematically inclined, and I do worry about him being challenged even in advanced math . . . but I'm worried too that he might miss something that would be important later on. I would love for him to do it - I know some kids around here that leave highschool and go over to NC State for math classes because they've taken both AP Calc and AP Statistics, which means they would have had to skip a math class somewhere along the way. Has anyone else had a child skip a grade or class? How was your/their experience?

Asked by missanc at 1:47 PM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you think he'd be bored in 6th grade math, let him. That's not skipping a grade, just putting him into a course that will challenge rather than bore. A bored middle school student is one that disrupts, etc. Not a good situation.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:05 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I know 2 people who skipped entire grades. I think if the teacher suggests it and if you think he will be bored - go for it!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:18 PM on May. 3, 2011

• In NC, they can do what you are suggesting and be very successful. Once they hit HS, the courses are taught on the block schedule and if he takes 7th grade math in 6th grade, he should look at taking the Algebra I placement and take Algebra I in 8th grade and then Algebra II and Geometry in 9th grade Pre-Calc.and Calc. in 10th grade, AP Calc. 11th grade and then dual enroll in the local community college as soon as he turns 16 and take college level math courses.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:15 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Even without skipping a class, he will be taking Algebra I in 8th grade. What we are considering will put him taking Algebra I in 7th grade. I know about block scheduling (I substitute teach in the highschools), but I'm also looking at the 5 year highschool early college that NC State runs where he would get out in 5 years with his diploma and 2 years of college credit. Thanks!

Comment by missanc (original poster) at 4:40 PM on May. 3, 2011