1st time mom w/ bf, might be tmi

So my little guy is 4 days and and I have been BF, is it normal that my nipples get these like dark kinda cruchy lines through them? and hes wants to eat every half hour, is he getting enough food? Am I just being a worry wart?

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's worst the first few weeks, but gets better everyday. Growth spurts DEF lead to "cluster feeding" My little man is almost 5 months and still does it. IT WILL GET BETTER !! It helped for me use warm washcloths before feeding him and cold packs after.
    MrsSuperMomof3

Answer by MrsSuperMomof3 at 4:15 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No I had the same thing, my nipples got really dry and cracked at first, but that cream they make Laminosh or something like that worked wonders for me. The first week of breastfeeding was extremely painful for me and I almost gave up more than once but in my opinion if you can get through the first week you will be fine :-)
    Cadens_Mommy118

Answer by Cadens_Mommy118 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• you will get realy dry and cracked - you should get a lotion that is safe for nipple and baby to keep it from getting realy bad to the point where it bleeds.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Yup. Dry, cracked, painful nipples are normal in the beginning. It will get better. In the meantime, that nipple cream that they sell in the breastfeeding section of the store can help. Also, some babies "cluster feed," meaning that they seem to nurse nonstop for hours. This, too, will even out once the baby gets bigger and onto more of a schedule. Good luck!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• its normal,me and my baby like to lay down when she nurses its easier,he is getting enough,sometimes babies use us a pacifers too,feed him when ever he is hungry,he will go longer later on,it is very time consuming but all worth it.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:44 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It is compeltely normal but newborns have a need to suckle even when they aren't hungry. every 1/2 hour is really too often and too hard on you. 2-3 hours is the norm at this age. To know if he's gettting enough milk you should count diapers. Many will preach against it but I did use a pacifier with both my sons to help with the need to suck and it worked great... just be careful not to abuse it... It sounds like you would really benefit from checking out this website: www.kellymom.com/ . hang in there and don't worry- it will get easier and will be sooooooo worth it! :)
    DVega01

Answer by DVega01 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008