Who has had a puppy here? Any training advice?

Im looking to get a puppy in te near future, not sure what kind, I like Cairn Terriers but im open. Any suggestions or any tricks you found useful while having a puppy?

AdrianzMommie

Asked by AdrianzMommie at 1:57 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Pets

• I use the crate with a schedule and I also use the crate for "time outs" so to speak. I place the puppy in his crate at night to sleep. When we wake up I take him outside for about 15 minutes to potty if he goes (which he usually does) then we go back inside for and it's free time (supervised run of the house) if he doesn't go I place him back in his crate for 10 or 15 minutes then back outside, repeating the process until he goes potty. I feed at 7am and 7pm, and through this scheduled feedings I have learned when to expect him to need to go potty. During the day I take him outside every 30 minutes to an hour (depending on if he went potty recently). I also take him outside immediately following a nap or hard play/excitement. I also use the crate for times when I can't watch him or when he is being too unruly and my nerves need a "time out". When I am home and awake I never leave him in for more than 30 minutes cont.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:37 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I have fostered many puppies and currently have a 3.5 month old. Crate train supervision are key. I got my puppy at about 12 weeks old and started the trainign right away. They can't really hold their bladder until about 3 months but you can start ingraining the habit. I also started right away on other training, sit, laydown, shake, etc... He has mastered many commands already and these give me a way of distracting him when bad behavior erupts! Puppies are a lot of work, much like having a toddler, but they are sooo fun!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:08 PM on May. 3, 2011

• crates r good but,u have to be consistent. Letting pup out in yard to do its thing has to be close to the same time every day.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:43 PM on May. 3, 2011

• The crates are a wonderful way of doing it, if you are thinking about getting a puppy why not go and save a life at the shelter, they got a wonderful assortment of breeds.

Answer by older at 2:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• thanks ladies, may I ask what all goes into the crate training? Like you put them in it when you leave and when you go to sleep? sy.. i dnt have any experience with this x) lol
    AdrianzMommie

Comment by AdrianzMommie (original poster) at 4:05 PM on May. 3, 2011

• cont...and I always take him outside for the 15 minute potty break after crate time. I never use the crate as punishment and always give praise when placing him in the crate. I also give him a chewy toy while he is in the crate. When he goes potty outside I give lots of praise and when he goes potty inside if I catch him I simply clap my hands and pick him up and take him outside to finish. If I don't catch him I simply clean it up. If you don't catch them in the act it's too late to correct. He is 3.5 months now and we are on day 3 of no accidents in the house! Good luck!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:40 PM on May. 3, 2011

• To acclimate him to the crate I placed him in and sat in front and gave him treats for 10 minute intervals. The first night at our home I placed him in and suffered through the whining. He would have whined anyway, due to leaving his littermates. Whatever you do don't give in to the whining and let him out, it will make the training process longer and harder.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:42 PM on May. 3, 2011