IEP meeting snacks... afternoon meeting....

We brought doughnuts and coffee to all of his IEP meeting last year because they were at 7:40 in the morning. This one tomorrow is at 2:30. What kind of simple little snacks/drinks can I bring that you think they would enjoy. It will be DH and I as well at the IEP team made up of about 6-8 people. Cookies? Fruit tray? Soda's????

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:22 PM on May. 3, 2011 in

• A fruit tray would be nice, or a meat/cheese and cracker platter would be good too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:25 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Ummm...well, coming from someone who only has like 2-3 people at the most at DD's IEP meetings, this is a new thing for me. I would say a fruit tray would be a good idea.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:27 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Why do you have to bring a snack?? I would think that would be a distraction??

(I work in a HS and we have these meetings in the Library conference room... no snacks allowed, water only.)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:40 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree with Crafty26, why is a snack necessary.
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 2:42 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Because it is a nice thing to do for a group of people working so hard to make the best choices for my son. They have a hard job and I am fully aware my son only makes it harder for them. They deserve a thank you and Doughnuts and coffee have always been VERY much appreciated. In fact his speech therapist said on his first meeting when she saw what we brought that this was a dream come true. She had heard of IEP meeting where the parents brought doughnuts but had never actually been to one. lol. So I guess in the end it's not 'necessary' but it is something nice we like to do.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 2:46 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I think a fruit tray, veg tray or even a cookie tray should be fine. Just something small at that time of day.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:38 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I NEVER brought anything to IEP meetings, It is not needed. These meetings are usually quick and to the point. It's not a time to chit chat and snack, it's a time to figure out the best options for your child's education and skills.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Well, we do and it's fine. we do not have quick and to the point meetings and never have even when we were just doing SST. I don't think it is a rule that anyone should have to but it is something we choose to do and the teachers like it. So I appreciate everyone input on what a simple afternoon type snack would be and those who think it isn't necessary... that's fine. :0)
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:57 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I also wanted to add that the recommendation to bring a snack came from out local Parent2Parent Chapter and is recommended several places to help break the ice, encourage parent involvement from the iep team and to show you appreciation for them taking the extra time out of their day to attend a meeting that is ultimately for your child benefit. So, again it is just a nice gesture.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Fruit tray would be nice. Even the afternoon meeting is a good time for coffee, and doughnuts. If this is something you have been doing, keep doing it. Who cares what others think about your choice.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:07 AM on May. 4, 2011