How do I feed these kids?

Hi,

I need some menu and meal ideas making use of what I already have. I'm going shopping later, but I have almost nothing to spend so I need to really keep the cost impossibly low. ( the lower the better)

We have a lot of mouths to feed. ( 8 ) The kids love anything with cheese or tomato sauce and would live off it if allowed, but I need other ideas too.

I would love meal ideas using the ton of white rice we have as well as the pinto beans, black beans and lentils we have. Also it needs to be gluten / wheat free, but dairy is OK.

Thanx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Mac and cheese with cut up hotdogs?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:39 PM on May. 3, 2011

• roasting a whole chicken is the most cost effective meal I can think off because it will take care of 2. Night one you have chicken with a side of rice(of some variety) and a veggie or two(fresh veggies are also cheap this time of year) On the second night you boil the bones to make a nice chicken stock adding a variety of lentils, rice, veggies and seasonings to. If you have the basics this is going to be two meals for what amounts to about 12 bucks.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:43 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Beans and rice. I would add sausage to the pinto beans and chicken to the black beans. For lentils, Lentil soup is good and can be made with or without the meat. My hubby makes it using chopped tomatoes, potatoes, chicken broth, celery, garlic and lentils.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:44 PM on May. 3, 2011

• you can add a bit of cheese and broc and chicken to your rice (i cook in chicken stock)

Gumbo or Chicken Bog is VERY filling and goes a very LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 3:04 PM on May. 3, 2011

• black beans could be used for tacos or in tossed salad, can add to the rice. Lenils would be good with soup and cornbread, cooked rice can be used with chicken and vegs, rice pudding, rice and black beans for tacos, fried rice. For cheap meals mac and cheese with peas and canned chicken or tuna, pancakes is a cheap meal, hot dogs, ramon noddles, cornbread, sausage, blts snackwiches, homemade pizza with crust or even english muffins, soup, spagettis,
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:31 PM on May. 3, 2011