Getting rid of paci

we're taking my daughter to build-a-bear tommorow so we can get rid of "pa".
she's two and doctor says it needs to go because it's effecting her teeth.
i plan on talking to her tonight and explaining that it's her last night with it, but we're going to put it in the bear so she can still carry it around and sleep with it and such.

any ideas on how to explain this to a toddler and keep their attention?

how did you get rid of your paci and how old was your kiddo?

ilovemymonsterr

Asked by ilovemymonsterr at 3:01 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No help here, but I will offer you a bump. Luckily our DD was never attached to a paci. So, when it came time to get rid of it we just trashed it. Bottles were a different hurdle. We were cold turkey with most everything, except her bottles. We've literally tried probably 20 different times of sippy cups and she has finally chosen a small, soft spout cup. WHEW! No more bottles!

She's 22 months old.
    Anonymous

• LOL..I am a let them wean themselves kind of person. I also don't believe it affects teeth until their baby teeth come out.

Back when my son was almost 2, I thought differently and just told him and took it. It was HORRIBLE and he was so heartbroken for days. Never will I take a comfort object again.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• We did the "Binky Fairy" thing at 4 for my DD... Binky Fairy came and took all her pacifiers (that we left in a basket) away to the new babies that needed them. She left a few new toys and a new stuffy. DD only used the Binky at night since she was 2, so she held onto those toys at night for a few weeks. Now, at 7 she doesn't even sleep with anything special, not stuffies or anything. You have to do what YOU feel is right for her. Have you tried cutting down to pacifier only at night first?? it can make the transition smoother. Good Luck Mama!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:11 PM on May. 3, 2011

• What a cute idea! I have been trying to figure out how to take my youngests paci away. she will be 2 in july.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 3:34 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Bugz - Pacifiers can actually reduce the risk of SIDS, so I believe that they should be offered a pacifier until 12 months old. Might as well use all of the tools possible to make sure something as tragic as SIDS doesn't happen!
    Anonymous

• my 3 yr old chipped his tooth a year ago using paci. he's still not fully weaned today but trying.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 5:26 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I took my son's away when he was 6 months. They shouldn't have them after that. I say just take it away in the middle of the night and don't cave in. Throw it away and they'll get over it.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:28 PM on May. 3, 2011