Starting solid

We are just about to start solid. probably in 2 weeks or so. I'm so excited!
Question: when you started with your baby, what time of the day did you do? Did you start in the morning, lunch, dinner? Why did you choose that time? Please share your experience. Thanks!

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 3:20 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when I started my son on solid foods, I gave him the food first and then gave him a bottle. or you could do food, then a bottle and just alternate between the two during the day and just give your baby bottles at night.
    kind of like breakfast, lunch, dinner, then snacks in between.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:23 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Let's see... we started at six months, mashed banana... on a Saturday morning since we were both home.

It ended up being pretty anticlimactic. The anticipation was more fun than the actual doing.... he wasn't all that excited about it!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Whether you are nursing or formula feeding, always do it AFTER they eat those. Remember that food is strictly for learning and is NOT to take the place of their milk. They only need a tablespoon at most. They need to be OVER 6 months old. And if you want, you can wait until they are able to sit unassisted and feed them regular food like baked sweet potatoes, banana and avocado chunk. You can put it on their tray and allow baby to determine how much they want and when. I suggest sometime during the day when they are wide awake and willing to try.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:26 PM on May. 3, 2011

• By the way... until the first birthday...formula or breastmilk (whichever you're doing) is the main meal. Solids are VERY secondary; the liquid diet is more important than solids. A baby who gets nothing but the liquid diet all through year one is actually nourished more completely than the baby who gets three meals of solids per day and very little in breastmilk or formula (again, whichever you're doing).

Solids are accurately described by the AAP as SUPPLEMENTAL feeding... as in, they are an extra.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I started it at dinner so we could all sit together at the table, and so that it would be between her late afternoon feeding and her night time feeding so she would still be hungry enough at those times to nurse. Then I gradually added in more solids at lunch and then breakfast time as well.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:26 PM on May. 3, 2011