Potty Train a Yorkie

how did you do it and how long did it take? We just got a 10 wk old female

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 3:34 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Pets

• yorkies are typically hard to potty train but just taking it out constantly and if it pees in the house rub its nose in it and with a stern voice say NO, POTTY OUTSIDE.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 3:36 PM on May. 3, 2011

• All I can say is good luck, these dogs are very hard to train, I have one that is 15 years old and he has trained me, lol!
    the crates are really good for this though.

Answer by older at 3:39 PM on May. 3, 2011

• you should never rub the nose in their mistakes. yorkies are hard to train because they are stubborn. mine is 6 months old and still uses puppy pads, I just put them where she pees ... we are just starting to get warmer weather and what I was told was to put her puppy pad outside and 20 minutes after she eats put her outside that way she relates her puppy pad to the outdoors. Also your supposed to put them in the kennal at night and then set them outside in the morning but I never did that because she is very tiny and it has been cold out
    Anonymous

• crate training. I have yet to own a dog it hasn't worked for.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/housebreaking.htm
    You will need to take her out frequently (every 30-45 minutes) since she can't hold it yet and be sure to give plenty of praise when she goes where she's supposed to. It may take awhile since smaller breeds are generally more difficult to house break and Yorkies are notoriously stubborn. Just be patient. Always praise and never EVER rub their nose in it. That does nothing to teach them and does everything to make them more belligerent and fearful of you.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:19 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Yes, they are often very difficult to housetrain, but there are exceptions. Some are easy. You need to start right away!

So, be sure you are using a crate and 100% supervision. Take your pup out every 1-2 hours and be diligent about rewarding when she goes potty outside. If she keeps her crate clean and dry that is a sign you are on the right track. Keep all bedding out of the crate until you know she is not wetting in it for certain. Or use a white towel so you can visible see what is going on in there.

Hang a bell off the door and teach her to ring it to go out.

Some people litter box train their yorkies, but I recommend training her to go outdoors, if possible.

Click on this link for general potty training instructions.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:33 AM on May. 4, 2011

• oops-I did not answer second part of your original question.... and how long does it take?

Most puppies go out every 2 hours up to the age of 12 weeks, then most puppies are able to wait 6 hours by the time they are about 16-20 weeks old. It really varies from dog to dog. Some dogs take up to 2 years, some by 6 months.

Most dogs are really quite good at it by 8 months. By the time your dog is one year, you should expect her to be house trained and reliable. Much of it depends on the dog's breed, intact or neutered, and the smaller dogs do mature a little faster. Also, it most of all depends on your consistency and supervision.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:38 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Crate training is the best method.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:14 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Thanks everyone! She is really doing good! We set up a little pen lined with puppy pads and whenever we think of it we put her in there and tell her to go potty. She is doing really good! Has only had a few accidents where we caught it in the beginning so could still put her in the pen. I think she's doing way better than I expected! So I read to gradually wean out puppy pads until there is just a small area of pad to fully train her so when do you think I should start that? Each week take alittle out?
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on May. 6, 2011