Should gay couple be denied rooms?

Recently, owners of a Christian hotel were sued for denying a gay couple the right to share a double room. The article is attached. I would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Peter and Hazelmary Bull were breaking the law when they denied Martyn Hall and his civil partner Steven Preddy a room at their hotel in Cornwall in September 2008.

Judge Andrew Rutherford made the ruling in a written judgment at Bristol County Court as he awarded the couple £1,800 each in damages.

Mr Hall and Mr Preddy, from Bristol, were seeking up to £5,000 damages claiming sexual orientation discrimination under the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007.

At a hearing last month, the Bulls denied the claim, saying they have a long-standing policy of banning all unmarried couples both heterosexual and gay from sharing a bed at the Chymorvah Private Hotel in Marazion near Penzance.

Mr Bull, 70, and his wife, 66, said their policy, operated since they bought the hotel in 1986, is based on their beliefs about marriage and not a hostility to sexual orientation.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:40 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, it is their PRIVATE business and they have a right to deny service and to set their own guidelines for their business.
    I also think that if we want respect and tolerance for our life choices, we should learn to tolerate and respect those who disagree with those choices. Not everyone has to agree with us and we cannot go around demanding that people respect us and accept our lifestyle choices as valid.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:09 PM on May. 3, 2011

• What do they do,ask to see a marriage license of all their guests???

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:46 PM on May. 3, 2011

• If you own a business you should have the right to deny service to anyone you want to. That is a seperate issue between if it is right or wrong.

Answer by gemgem at 3:41 PM on May. 3, 2011

• should people be denied a room if the are not gay and just sharing a room??
    Bottom line is that it's none of the hotels business if they are going to use both beds or just one!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:41 PM on May. 3, 2011

• If they broke a law by doing so, then they broke a law, and should be dealt with accordingly.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:43 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I know less about UK law than I do US law, and I am not a lawyer even here.

But if they have an enforced policy against letting rooms to any unmarried couple - regardless of gender makeup - then this shouldn't be classified as a gay couple being denied a room, but an unmarried couple being denied a room.

Whether or not they can do that or not is another issue, I suppose, but that's what the issue would be. Again, going by the statement that they have a longstanding, enforced policy against non-married couples sharing rooms.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:44 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Oh I am sure they get married people in that place...just not married to each other...its a hotel for goodness sake! The Morality Police probably shouldn't own a hotel.  They are just bigoted against gay people.

shh

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 3:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• You do NOT have the legal right to deny someone on the basis of sexuality alone. That's called discrimination, no matter if it's a personally owned business or a corporation.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:49 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would suspect, that even thought the owners state that to be their policy, if two sisters or just one male, one female were to come for a room, it would be "no questions asked". How would you enforce that if people don't go around with marriage certificates? The answer is that it is unenforcable, except for the obvious gay couple. That makes it only about gay couples, and that is discrimination.

What if their policy was "only men can rent rooms"? You bet they'd be sued!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:01 PM on May. 3, 2011

• How the heck do they even know the relationship of the people renting the hotel room? Do they ask upfront? Do they want a marriage certificate? Being asked any of that to rent a hotel room seems awfully invasive... I think I will just head to the 'no-tell motel' down the street, thanks very much!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:10 PM on May. 3, 2011