Credit/collections question

I randomly got a letter from a collections agency for a phone line in my name. I have never had a phone line, and after asking the agent more questions I found out it was opened when I wasn't even living in that town. I have a feeling that my ex's mom is the one that did it, but she passed away...do you think they will just drop it, or will I still get stuck with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm not sure. It says your name, and thee is no proof that your ex mil did it. I'm pretty sure your going to get screwed over this. Sucks.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Prove to them that you didn't open it and then they will drop it. Other than that, they want their money.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• The creditor has to be able to prove that it is in fact your debt. The letter should state somewhere on it to contact them in writing within 30 days to dispute the debt. Make sure to do this and when you mail it, send it return receipt and certified so you'll have proof that it was rec'd by the company. They will then have the burden to prove you owe them. Don't just pay it! Fight it!
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 3:57 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I have gotten a few of those that had my name (it is a fairly common name) but it was not my bill. I called the collection agency and told them that it was not mine, and then they asked for the last few digits of my social to verify--- and I was right-- it was not me so they took my address off their list and never contacted me again.
    So I would contact them again and tell them it is not you, and ask them what they would need to prove it. Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:04 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Call the phone company that it is with to find out if this is legit or a scam.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 4:16 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Pull your credit report and see if it's on there. This could be a scam to get more information out of you.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 3:02 AM on May. 4, 2011