Are you or do you know anyone who is a real estate agent?

Do you enjoy it? Do you make it good money? Do you do it part-time or full-time? How long did it take to get your license? I am seriously considering this as a part-time career, and would like some information on it :)

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 4:03 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• My mom was. She hated it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Do you know why she didn't like it?
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My sister and Brother in law both are realtors and do very well, and enjoy their careers. My Father has been looking into doing this as well! GL, Hope someone will be able to give you the information you are looking for!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 4:07 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My mom was and she loved it. She did it after retirement for extra money.
    She quit with the downturn of the economy. Not enough sales to be worth the work. And it was very time consuming.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:07 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I know a little about real estate (I tried to get in). All my friend who were in real estate are now doing something else.
    Biggest reason - the market is very weak
    My reason for quitting - Takes a real nest egg to get started. Most agents don't see income for the first two (or so) years, even when the market is good.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 4:13 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I was. After paying $650.00 for the class, $50.00 for each test, passing the test, interviewing brokers, being told I needed to pay approximately $850.00 in November, but then turn around and pay the same thing again in January, I sat down and gave it some serious thought. I talked to many, many brokers in my area. There are over 650 licensed real estate agents in my city. Of that 650, there are probably about 100 who are very well known and very active. The rest have their licenses on hold, which also costs $100.00 per year. Now, I also found out that some offices give you a desk, phone usage, etc, for free, while others will charge you a monthly rental fee. Another thing is, you may not sell one house a year... but you can work up to 40+ hours a week trying to sell the houses. Also, most people want to see homes in the evening and weekends. So, the bottom line is, you may work all this time and still make no money.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:51 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Factor all that in to the fact that my husband and I already own businesses in four different states, and are very busy with that.. and I seriously regret the money and time I spent that I did. It's not worth it. It could have been at one time, but not now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:52 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I don't think now is a good time to be a realtor.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:57 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I have my real estate license and used to work in real estate. I don't now. The market was hot in the 90s, but not great now and realtors are a dime a dozen with everyone unemployed and looking for something to do.

Answer by missanc at 9:57 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I am and I love it. I just got my license in Feb and have three deals closing this month. It does cost to become a Realtor, school (online is cheapest) Testing about 60 and fees to become a Realtor. I spent about 1500. If you are a go getter you can make it work. You have to market yourself and find a good Broker to work for that does training and some type of lead generator. I work for Weichert and they by far have the best training around. I know this because I interviewed every Broker in town. Send me a note if you want more info.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 12:38 PM on May. 4, 2011