What is he cheapest purebred?

Now before I get jumped on, I'm not asking where I can find a cheap purebred. I am asking which specific breed usually costs the least to get with health checks and papers. I know rarer or less popular breeds cost more so I'm trying to find out what specific breeds are popular enough to not cost into the thousands in adoption fees. I have checked rescues but no one has puppies that I could find at the moment and I personally feel safer getting the dog from a breeder whom I can physically visit and speak to, see the parents and get the health guarantees and the temperament I want.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Pets

• There are no cheap purebred dogs. If it's cheap then there is something bad in its lineage.
    Anonymous

• I would also like to add that we will have no problem financially caring for the dog. We just don't want to spend thousands on a dog that will only be a pet. If we wanted to show it would be different.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:07 PM on May. 3, 2011

• If you're not going to show it then why get a purebred? There's nothing wrong with "mutts" from responsible breeders.
    Anonymous

• Because you often get people claiming mixed breeds as "designer dogs" to rip you off and it is easier to breed fir specific traits like temperament and longevity in purebreds.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:10 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It really varies. I have a friend who just bought a king Charles Cavalier for $1200...then 2 weeks later, found another breeder selling them with their papers & all...for $250 each.

Some people breed dogs for a living, and they charge more. Some people do it as a hobby, like a minor second income. I had a teacher who bread standard poodles. She had 4 dogs, 2 females & 2 males. They just let them do their things...and when they had puppies, she's sell them for about 200 each when most people were selling them for at least $500. these were also pure bread dogs, there was nothing wrong with them. Sometimes she had people bid on dogs...she had one puppy that was really neat looking & had 2 people wanting it. So, she sold it to the top bidder for $1200....

So, it all really depends on the seller. Do lots of research...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:12 PM on May. 3, 2011

• You can spend as little or as much as you want on a breed of any sort. The asking price is usually based on the quality of the dogs produced. I hope, however, that when you make your decision you will try not to support any backyard or irresponsible breeders or puppy mills.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:12 PM on May. 3, 2011

• mutts tend to be smarter than purebreds overall & have many less issues with health & temperament. That is the plus of a mutt....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:13 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I'm assuming you mean dog. There are purebred cats, rabbits, ect. It depends on where you live and the supply and demand. I live in Tucson and you can get a purebed Chihua very cheap.

I've worked with several rescues and have fostered puppies and dogs. I recommend getting a dog from a rescue that is around a year old. There are breed specific rescues and purebred dogs available from rescues. If you get a dog that is around a year old you know more what you are getting. There is a better chance that the dog will be potty trained and won't destroy your house. You can tell more about their personality. Some rescues have trainers and the dog may be well trained.

My purebred Chihuahua cost $100 including shots, neutering, county registration, everything. Sometimes dogs cost as little as $20 at our local Humane Society and that includes everything. You can find dogs from nearly every shelter and rescue at www.petfinder.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would never get the cheapest pure bred of any breed. Usually the higher the price the better the breed is as far as lineage and all of that. If you are looking at cheap then get a mutt. They are just as good as any other breed. I have a pure bred & also have a mutt.

Answer by gemgem at 4:14 PM on May. 3, 2011

• You don't have to go to a breeder to get a "mutt" that's why you end up feeling like you'd be ripped off. Go to a rescue site and ask them; most of them temperament test the dogs so you "know what you're getting".

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:17 PM on May. 3, 2011