I excel at seedlings why do I suck at gardening?

I can create the greatest seedlings, I transplant them and for a time they look like they may turn into something - then it ends. They are still alive! But they don’t seem to grow any more.
I’ve used cow poo, worm poo, seaweed, chopped up lobster guts, EVEN Miracle Grow. But after a few weeks outside in the ground they just die!
What am I doing wrong.

(I‘m in Maine - not a very long growing season)

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 4:14 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've always been told you have to "harden" them by putting them out for a few hours and then bringing them back to the place where you started them for a few days. And also they do not need fertilizer at first. It can burn the tender roots
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 4:21 PM on May. 3, 2011

• We're the opposite. We can start the seedlings, but when it comes to putting them outside..... they die before they can get to that point.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 4:29 PM on May. 3, 2011

• You need to harden them off. Also, if you are using manure on a spring garden, it will burn those seedlings right up. Perhaps have your soil tested?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:51 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It may be your soil. My husband put the manure on then tills. We wait a week or so before putting any plants in.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:05 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I have no idea but GL!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:37 PM on May. 5, 2011

• no clue, im not good at gardening
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 8:55 PM on May. 5, 2011

• No idea I have no luck with plans
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:18 PM on May. 6, 2011

• maybe you need to find some different compost or get your soil tested.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:06 AM on May. 7, 2011

• They make a neat little alkaline tester that tests the ph of your soil and it's relatively cheap. All you do is put the little stakes in the ground and it will tell you how alkaline your soil is if it's too much either way it'll be harder to grow things in
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 8:35 PM on May. 7, 2011

LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 8:36 PM on May. 7, 2011