What do you want in an after-school program?

What types of things make you pick one, and what do you stay away from? ~ If you find two that you like, what makes one rise above another?

christyg

Asked by christyg at 4:38 PM on May. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I taught an afterschool program and it seems the most common want is a well-balanced, educational program. We spent some time just playing every day (outside if it was nice enough) and focused on a different topic each day of the week. We learned about other cultures, did a lot of art projects, did some cooking, some science experiments, etc. We also had centers set up in my classroom and they did center time when it was too icky to go outside. Centers are often though of as a younger child thing, but if you have the right activities in them, all ages love centers.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:17 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would expect the children to become fluent in 4 different languages. Learn how to sew and do their own laundry. Cooking would be at the top of my list with a full 3 course meal. OOOH! Laundry too, gotta do laundry. How to change a poopy diaper and housework (includes doing windows). I guess that's all in a nutshell! Have an AWESOME day Christy G.!!! You think too much! HUGS!
    PS ALL - I'm picking on her so please don't take anything I posted seriously. = )
    RaisnKids

Answer by RaisnKids at 10:43 AM on May. 4, 2011

• If only we could all be perfect like you :) ~ Thanks for the laugh!
    christyg

Comment by christyg (original poster) at 11:09 AM on May. 4, 2011