Weight issues with my 8 week old son =(

I had twin boys on March 8th.. my smaller twin, Owen was born at 4.8lbs and his brother was 6.5lbs. He has been having issues with vomiting and his weight has been going up and down. After his last pedi was not doing much at all to help I switched to a new Dr who immediately sent him over to be hospitalized. They checked for pyloric stenosis, which was negative, and did chest xrays. Finally determined the cause for vomiting is GERD and they started him on Zantac. After 5 days in the hospital they let him come home on Sunday and we are to bring him in every day for weight checks. His discharge weight was up to 7lbs2oz. AT his weight check yesterday he had lost AGAIN and was down to 6lbs14oz. I seriously don't understand WHY because since starting the Zantac he has not vomited at all and is eating very well. The doctor immediately came in and greeted my by saying "This baby HAS GOT to be fed properly. He needs to eat every 2-3 hours".. I was totally insulted by this! I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old who are and have always been in perfect health and in the 90th percentiles on their growth, not to mention that Owen's TWIN brother is doing wonderful and is up to 11lbs right now. I do not know why or how it's even possible that he is still losing weight but I DO know that it is nothing I am doing wrong. I guess my question is for any of you ladies who have gone through something like this with your children. How long did it take them to start gaining consecutively at a normal pace? What did the doctors do to help you? Is there anything I can do differently with feedings? He's eating great.. every 2-3 hours and usually takes anywhere from 2-4oz. I am at a loss here. I thought that once we got the vomiting under control it would be smooth sailing but obviously not..

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 4:52 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My twin son was a refluxer and lost much weight due to it. We got a podee bottle and sat him completely upright for feedings. This helped tremendously.
    2and2onway

Answer by 2and2onway at 4:53 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Poor little guy and poor momma! I don't have anything to offer, but I just wanted to say you are doing everything right :) He'll come around:)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Are you nursing or formula feeding? Is he taking in/eating as many times as his twin?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:10 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Are you nursing? Perhaps you should supplement with formula a bit,,some mother;s have "skim" breast milk,LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:31 PM on May. 3, 2011

• If he was on IV when he was hospitalized that may be the little bit of weight drop since he's been home.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 7:40 PM on May. 3, 2011

• There's no such thing as skim breastmilk, unless mom is DYING.

The OP is bottle feeding per her post and the number of ounces consumed. Ctink, what kind of formula? Soy or dairy based? Because this sounds like a dairy issue. Babies with dairy problems can continue to lose because their bodies cannot handle it. You may need to change formulas.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:32 AM on May. 4, 2011

• gdiamante is correct, I am bottle feeding. When he was first born he was put on Neosure to help him gain weight. When the vomiting issues first started we switched him to regular advance to see if it would be easier on the tummy, which he did a little better but was still vomiting. The pedi then suggested Alimentum, and that was terrible because he would not even drink it..PERIOD. So back to the Advance we went. Never considered that it could be a dairy issue though so thats def something to look into.

2and2ontheway- Those bottles are the neatest thing i've ever seen! Just ordered a 2 pack this morning so I can try them out =)
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on May. 4, 2011