HOme birth

Hi,
This is my 1st pregnancy and I'm not happy with the thought of going to a hospital to give birth. Have anyone here given birth at home or in a birthing center? HOw was your experience? how much did it cost? If you live in the Bay Area would you send me some sites where I can find a birthing center and a midwife!?

I"m trying to convince my hubby to having baby at home, I just feel I would have more freedom to move around with out the restrictions I would get at the hospital and the pressure for pain medication!
PLEASE HELP! thanks :)

Victoria.Loved

Asked by Victoria.Loved at 4:55 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Meehling, women have been birthing for tens of thousands of years. Yes, complications arise. But more complications happen because of unnecessary interventions than natural occurrences. If you don't support home birth that's fine. But there are women that have trust in their bodies and their home birth care takers and we don't need you telling us we don't deserve children. So get off your soap box.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:07 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Join the natural pregnancy and childbirth group on here for a lot of personal stories, inspiration and advice:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 4:57 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Good for you, I used a HB MW, and would never use a mainstream caregiver again. And to make such an AWESOME decision on your first child is fantastic!! Good for you :)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 5:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

• @MeehlingMommi23: Did you know that the US ranks 32nd in Maternal and fetal death? Did you know that in most of the industrialized countries except the US, they give birth in the home and use hospitals for ONLY those of high risk? Did you know that in all of those countries, they rank higher for healthy births and pregnancies?

You , my friend, need to do REAL research and not be fooled into scare tactics. Everything about your answer is wrongful propaganda.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Just do your research is all I mean to say.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:08 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I haven't had a home birth (I am due in 9 days) I am going with a midwife practice within a hospital, though. I love it. It's the closest thing to a home birth I can get while not in home (my insurance will not cover a home birth unfortunately- I want one so bad!). I pulled up a search for local doulas in the bay area for you. Doulas are a great source of information for home birth and networking with midwives to find the one for you.There is also a great site that I found my doula on- www.doulamatch.net

Doula Search

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Also check out the video "Orgasmic Birth" and "Business of Being Born" Both are awesome and beautiful and very educational as to the home birth scene
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:05 PM on May. 3, 2011

• With the c-section rate as high as it is I think it is a toss up which way is safer. Babies and mothers die in hospitals too you know. Babies have been pit to distress. Mothers have died under anesthesia. Life ain't perfect and nobody get out of life alive. You do your research and fine a good situation for you.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 5:06 PM on May. 3, 2011

• @MeehlingMommi:

A midwife is perfectly capable of handling anything. She never said she was freebirthing. Geeze, go away.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:13 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Wrong again, meehling. More women die in hospitals in America than using midwives in any other county. Doctors put you on a time limit for their own sake. If you don't deliver in 12 hours then "something is wrong". No, not everyone's body dilates at 1.2 cm/hour. It is a process and doctors don't like things that go against numbers. Watch "Orgasmic Birth" and "Business of being Born" There are medical professionals on their from the world health organization saying that it is safer to birth at home unless you have a complicated pregnancy.

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:15 PM on May. 3, 2011