Did you think bin Laden's assassination would spark such debate?

there is so much controvery coming from every angle of this operation. first, there are still people out there who think it was all some elaborate hoax dreamed up by Obama to gain points for the 2012 elections. and people who just don't want to fully believe we got the "real" Osama until - i don't know - the body is presented before them, with a DNA sample, death certificate and live video of the killing? not to mention the controversy going on in the White House now about whether or not to release the photos. The "who deserves credit" debate. The controversy over people celebrating. I mean- Jeez people! I truly thought for just one day we as Americans would come together (the way we did on 9/11 when we suffered those attacks) and agree on one thing - we followed through on our retaliation and this is a victory. guess i was wrong and my opinion is just that - another side of the controversy!

where do you stand in all of this?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:09 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It should spark debate. People like to dissect big events, as well they should, and those disections lead to differences of opinion.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:43 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree. The man is dead. That's not a bad thing, and for some, it brings a certain type of closure, but it's neither worth the controversy nor the celebration.

I do think some sober consideration about how and when to release information about his death is warranted, though.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:23 PM on May. 3, 2011

• This was one of my facebook friend's posts!

"If people are really buying this crap in the news - i pray they will think again. Bin Laden was a CIA asset, 9-11 was an inside job, the media is showing the theatre of a false system that has agendas that wish to enslave and decieve us. That is not theory either. There is much positive to connect with and fall back on, i hope people will wake up!!"

she cracks me up, she is a nut case....she is also the grand daughter of a US president. I can't say who...i couldn't throw her under the bus like that....

she is nuts...but really educated....
    Anonymous

• I never would have guessed the controversy this has brought. My stance is I'm glad he's dead and that all this fighting between Americans only plays into the terrorist agenda. It's hard to be united and watchful when no one can agree on anything.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:14 PM on May. 3, 2011

• If the president (this, last, any) got on television and announced that he was adopting a shelter kitten and naming it Peanut, it would spark a debate. Why a kitten? Is he ageist? Why a feline? Is he anti-dog? Why Peanut? Is that a jab at Republicans? Why did he pick a Siamese kitten? Is that a jab at the EU?

What is he trying to distract us from? Whose vote is he trying to curry? Did a special interest group make him do that?

I'm not saying there aren't things that can be questioned in the events of the weekend, but ANYTHING the president (this, last, any) does (and often doesn't do) sparks controversy.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:32 PM on May. 3, 2011

• difference of opinion is "the terrorists agenda"? funny, I thought it was a constitutionally guaranteed right.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:41 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Conspiracys are always much more interesting than the truth.
    I think he's dead. If Obama wanted to make this all up for reelection then it would have been done much closer to election time lol. americans have a short attention span. By the time the presidential election rolls around i doubt this incident will help him any. And then there are the people screaming, as soon as Obama opened his mouth, that he was being narcissistic and taking all the credit, and just generally pissed that Obama was getting any positive attention. But basically, they are only saying that because it's Obama. I heard the speech, and it was appropriate. I don't like Obama in the slightest, but i'm not so blind by democrat hate that I can't give some credit where credit is due. No he didn't do the hard work but he is the friggin president. I'm just irritated at the whole scenerio. Like you, i thought we would unite. Guess not.
    Anonymous

• Yup op, I did. Especially considering all the misinformation and gloating that went on following it.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:48 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I figured it would create this much controversy and debate. Everything at the national level does. Do I question if it was really him? No. Was this operation a priority IMO in the bigger scheme of things? No. Does this change my opinion about Obama's leadership skills? No. It is some experience.  I will say that I am glad that there is one less evil person in the world.  I am fascinated by some of the things that I am reading around here though. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:15 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I am not at all surprised.
    And yes, Bin Laden's family was safely rushed out of the USA a day or so after 9/11 by our government and none of them were considered enemies by the Bush family,according to much of the literature from intelligence after 9/11. So---your friend could be sort of correct,anon.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:17 PM on May. 3, 2011