Any tips for getting baby to eat more solids?

I started trying to give my baby the 3rd step gerber foods when he was about 9 months. At first he was doing okay, but started to gag on the food. He eats puffs, teething cookies and arrowroot cookies. He is always interested in what I'm eating, so I tear tiny pieces off for him and he does pretty good with that. Recently he decided he likes french style green beans. Has Anyone else had a similar problem? Could he maybe just not like the food? Our doctor wants us to go see an ocupational therapist, but I'm not sure if we need to go that far.

Taryl_Marie

Asked by Taryl_Marie at 5:13 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• #rd foods ALWAYS make babies gag. It is liquid with weird chunks in it. At 9 months old, he can eat what you eat, no need for the jar mess. And btw, if he can eat the other foods you listed, he needs no therapist.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:25 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Oh and also, he doesn't NEED to eat more solids. He needs his milk and food as a side supplement. Only after he turns one does he ever need to think about upping his solids. He doesn't even have to eat solids now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:27 PM on May. 3, 2011

• those gerber foods taste terrible,, lol,, have you tried mashed sweet potaoes,, my son gobbled them up,, you can food process some of the foods you eat,,not to spicy or too much salt,,I wouldn't think a therapist is what you need, just some good tasting food,, good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:33 PM on May. 3, 2011

• He is a year now, I just wanted to get some feed back because I just felt like he was being pushed. I want to avoid any extra stress for him.
    Taryl_Marie

Comment by Taryl_Marie (original poster) at 5:39 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Actually, I think you are a great mom and very right. He doesn't need to be pushed. He knows what he needs. Just hand him some bits of your food and let him determine what to eat and how much. He may eat tons one day and none the next. Let him put the bites in his mouth. He can also control the gagging this way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:45 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Thank you so much ladies, I knew I wasn't crazy!
    Taryl_Marie

Comment by Taryl_Marie (original poster) at 5:47 PM on May. 3, 2011