Am I just old-fashioned?

Am I just old-fashioned or does anyone else see the negative effects emails, text messages and friend-sharing websites (not café mom) have on their relationships? It seems like I’ve had all these great friends and family for years now that I’ve been very close with and communicated with almost daily. It’s been gradual, but it seems like more and more all of the time that the communication is notsomuch in person or over the phone.. Now, its over the internet… Even worse, it’s not just hi how ya been emails… its forwards (both texts and emails) and MySpace comments and app invites.

Does anyone else feel like they’re losing touch with those that they love because of this?

jodys-jody

Asked by jodys-jody at 3:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Relationships

• The Internet is only a tool - you can use it for good or ill.

Is an email more impersonal than a phone calll?

I live in the same town as my mother and we call/email each other at least once a day - I feel like the internet allows us to keep in touch. As for my far flung relatives, I love being able to email pictures and drop notes (and happily see emails in my Inbox as well!)

So, no. I think the Internet rocks and love it.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• As far as my family, no it doesn't affect how much I see them or talk to them. But when it comes to friends, I'd probably never talk to them without the internet. Sad. lol.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i find that i do it with people that are not very close to me and i still want to be friends with. like my best friend. i got married and i had kids and she is 10 yrs younger then me. i moved way far away and i know she is really busy. so i have lost touch but i feel i can text her and she can respond with it's best for her. we still talk on the phone but it like to send her sweet messages letting her know i still love her and that i still want to be friends. then my other friend who is very negative is not much of a friend it's nice to keep her at a distance. i can see your point but as for i call my mother and important people in my life. so i guess it's like everything else, every things better with moderation.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I like them. Sometimes I do think it's a little silly that I end up talking to my neighbor down the road on myspace more often than I end up talking to her in person, but we also use it to set up playdates, and I don't know as I'd talk to her in person any more often than I do now if we didn't have myspace. It's let me find and keep in touch with old friends I thought I'd lost forever and family who live far away who I also probably wouldn't be in touch with at all otherwise.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You are right. I've even been a habit to the excuse of "meh, why call them when I can just send an email or text." BUT usually that's to people I really don't have much to say to anyhow.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 3:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• well, no. i'm not saying the internet in general. i'm just saying that it has seem to come down to just forwards and what not. there is no hi how are you? and even on myspace... its not like anyone just stops by to say hi. its hey jody i left you a greenspot gift... or join my app.
    jodys-jody

Answer by jodys-jody at 3:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• well, i have always hated talking on the phone. the only people i really talk to on the phone is my dh and mom...and i talk to my dh on the phone if he calls me from work or out wherever he goes, to let me know something. so if i want to tell someone something, i normally text them.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Don't let it get that far. That is one main reason I never mix the internet with the real world.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have heard so many women blame myspace etc for the downfall of their marriage or relationship but the fact of the matter is if they are going to cheat they would find the way with or without the help of the internet.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think her point was instead of getting real msgs and real txts from your friends, you get fowards and fowards are not personal msgs to you from your friends and either are app. invites.
    Anonymous