How can I get my young son with ADHD and Autism to behave better? I have him on medication that does not seem to be working.

My son is on Risperdal, Adderral XR, and Prozac. The benefit of Adderral XR is that he is beginning to use more language and focus more on tasks at school. He has anxiety issues. He is always irritable, aggitated and whinny. He was put on Prozac a week ago. He also is very defiant, uncontrollable and aggressive when he is he can't do something. When he is doing what he wants all is well. But when he is told no or when something new is introduced he will completely meltdown until you give in to what he wants. He is completely clingy to me and his teacher. He screams when his teacher leaves the room. He waits at the bathroom door until I come out. I don't know how to handle my own son. I have four other children and have never experienced this before.

Sherribowdenjr

Asked by Sherribowdenjr at 5:23 PM on May. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My sons it the same way, And on some of the same meds, if i were you take him back to the doctor and have him try another med, maybe a tharpist.
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 5:27 PM on May. 3, 2011

• He needs to be in counseling and have his meds adjusted. The first combo doesn't always work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:38 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Same prob. with my son a couple years ago. Much better now. i agree with these ladies and try therapist who can implement a behavior management plan for at home. You just need to try to find something that he really likes, something he will really work for and let him work for it! Sounds so easy written here i know it's hard! Good luck and if you want to message or add me feel free!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 5:59 PM on May. 3, 2011