Found a Chihuahua puppy and...

My oldest DD found a Chihuahua puppy when she went out to check the mail and brought it home. She is fairly clean and still has her puppy teeth and long, sharp nails. We've asked our neighbors and my DH is going to ask the people that live behind us whenever they get home, but no one seems to know this dog. If I've asked everyone around here if they know or have seen the puppy before and they all say no, do you think it is okay to keep the puppy? I also plan on telling the local vet's office we have her just in case someone calls looking for her. Somehow, though, I feel guilty at the thought of keeping her even if no one claims her. Would you?

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 5:31 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Pets

• I would do what you are doing. Do your best to find the owners...maybe even putting an add in the local paper...and if you do not find them, keep the pup...or give it away to someone else who would give it a good home (sorry, had to throw that in because I would not keep a Chihuahua...never liked those little yip-yip dogs! LOL)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:33 PM on May. 3, 2011

• If no one claims her I wouldn't feel guilty, what's the alternative. I'm glad she is in a safe place with people who can give her food, water and medical care. Put up signs around the neighborhood someone will most likely call.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:34 PM on May. 3, 2011

• seems like your doing everything you can to find the owner...if no one comes forward then I think it would be awesome for you to keep her....you would be keeping her out of the streets and out of the shelter. =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:34 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would think so. It's better off with you than out alone or in a pound. If you see any fliers or anything then definitely return it. But as of now, congrats on your new addition

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:34 PM on May. 3, 2011

• when you take her to the vet , you might find she has a chip that can tell you who the owner's are. I wouldn't put an advertisement in the paper, but do check the paper and craigs list for anyone who may have lost a dog fitting your dog's description.. I wouldn't put an add in because many times you will "find" the owner who wants to use it for something else,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:35 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Maybe check your local animal shelter. We have 2 in our parish. Our shelter also has page on facebook and people post pics all time of missing pups or found pups. Matter of fact just yesterday a girl recognised a pic of her dog that has been missing since december! lady that found dog few months ago stumbled on site and tried 1 last time! But if you can not find owner, don't feel guilty for giving it a good home. GL!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 5:36 PM on May. 3, 2011

• They are rather small and I imagine quick so it could be someones pet - you could put Fliers in the mailboxes around you or by the closest gas station/ light post etc along with the other things you are doing. Bring it to the vet before you have it in your home if there is still time to make sure it doesn't have fleas or diseases - I had a jumper of a dog and he was tagged and our baby and we thought we lost him once and it was devistating. We also lost a cat who got through our screen and somehow jumped off a 2 story appt deck and was seen over the neighborhood but we never found him :( makes me sad. To this day I still look for him long beyond when he could still be even alive. do your best to find the owner but if no one steps up, please take care of this little one.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Just put up some flyers if you can, and contact the vet and any pet stores in the area and let them know you found this puppy. Odds are it is not a pure bred but mixed with something and the owners couldnt get rid of it so they dumped it in a neighborhood. It happens more often then you might think.

Answer by gemgem at 5:38 PM on May. 3, 2011

• She if she is microchipped and put up flyers around where you found her. If you do these things there's no reason you can't keep her.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:46 PM on May. 3, 2011

• We have asked our whole neighborhood, and when the vet opens in the morning, we are going to call them and ask if anyone has lost a Chi pup. We will also be going by Animal Control to get them to scan her and see if she has a chip. She cant be more than about 12-16 weeks old, and we're sure she is pure. She's starving, or at least she was, and acted like she hasn't had water in days.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 6:08 PM on May. 3, 2011