Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicaid and separated parents. . .

Hypothetically speaking. . . situation: Mom and Dad split on mutual terms, until recently. Dad decided he wants off of the kids medicaid info and food-stamps etc. (for whatever reason). Mom is told by Medicaid office that they will need to go to court and get legal papers for this to happen. Dad says Mom is a liar and that he was told differently. What needs to be done???? Keep in mind this is Indiana. P.S. the kid is 8 mo.


Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • When you go in to report that he is gone tell them you want to be reconsidered to include child support since he's not in the household now. When you do that you can include a custody hearing paid for by the state.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:23 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • Nothing needs to be done. If the Food Stamps are in your name then its your personal business and if seperated he lost the right to know any of it. As for Medicaid the only reason he needs any info on that is if he is seeking medical help for the child while in his case. My ex and I divorced and our son had medicaid. I gave him a copy of the card in the event of an emergency. He asked for his own copy and my case worker told him to get bent.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:08 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • I lived in Indiana and just had to report changes. We never had to go to court to prove anything. They did require I give three households that could verify he no longer lived with us.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • Generally what needs to happen is paperwork for a legal separation at least, and generally speaking, if one parent is getting state aid then they need to have an open case with child support.

    Answer by other_mother at 6:30 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • BOTH parents would need to go to DHS together and have a talk with the case worker to work things out.

    Answer by meandrphoto at 5:58 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • go to court. I'm sure he'll get served or something. and if he isn't the one handling the Medicaid, etc. then he wouldn't know what needs to be done in the first place.

    Answer by febmom007 at 6:00 PM on May. 3, 2011