Is it still considered false labor contractions after you've started dilating?

I've been having contractions (sometimes regular, sometimes painful, most of the time just period-like cramps) for the past 3 weeks. I found out that I'm only 1cm dilated yesterday. Is it possible to have some BH contractions and some that actually do something? I'd like to think that now I've started dilating that all this crampy-ness is leading somewhere.

ours

Asked by ours at 6:13 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was 2 cm dilated and had contractions that was 20 minutes apart for 2 days. The next 2 days they went to 10 minutes. By the 5th day my contraction was at 5 minutes. True labor is when it five minutes apart. You getting there momma!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 6:21 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I went into preterm labor at 33 weeks, i dilated to 1 1/2 ..... when i got off the procardia i was having contractions that were REAL TIGHT but not painful and cramping with no changes but the past week I have had painful contractions that just come 2 at a time then disappear... those dilated me to a 3. They don't like to use the term "false labor" anymore because even the BH that don't hurt are still preparing for labor and you can have real contractions for a while that help you efface and dilate - they call this the "latent phase" - the phase before active labor begins
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 6:50 PM on May. 3, 2011

• If contractions stop or don't get stronger and closer together it's false labor.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 6:58 PM on May. 3, 2011