Ear infection and 3 day shot?

Has anyone's child received the 3 day ear infection shot? Did it clear the infection...Our poor daughter is almost 8 months old. She has been battling ear infections since the last week of February. We've been through 3 rounds of antibiotics (amoxicillan, omicef, augmentan) Today I took her back and both ears are infected.....so she is doing the 3 day shot. This has been horrible. I think it's the same infection, but it's just not clearing up. We are at the doctor's office every other week!!!

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 6:15 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is the ear truly infected or is there fluid remaining in the middle ear? A lot of pediatricians don't tell parents the fluid built up from an infection can take weeks to go away. Because of that it leaves the potential for reinfection. Is the child running a fever and in pain? Most ear infections need only be monitored and not have antibiotics thrown at them. Believe me I know how hard this is to believe. My oldest son had 2 sets of P.E. Tubes due to chronic ear infections. My granddaughter had 2 sets as well. What I learned 22 years later really shocked me. What I've said above is exactly what the ENT specialist(surgeon) told me. Her ears wouldn't drain the fluid, ABTs do nothing to drain the fluid. Antihistamine didn't work. Put the tubes in and no more infections. The 1st tube came out 9 months later. In 3 weeks she was reinfected. 2nd set of tubes put in an same thing. A year later they came out. cont'd
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:25 PM on May. 3, 2011

• She had grown enough the eustachian tubes had pulled down a bit allowing the middle ear to drain. I haven't heard real good things about the 3 shot personally. It may be time to refer to an ENT.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:27 PM on May. 3, 2011

• The fluid is not draining...Basically, what you said is happening. The fluid is remaining and eventually makes it infected. Antibiotic clears the infection, but the fluid remains until another infection. We go to the ENT May 23. I'm not sure he will do tubes so little..She's not even 8 months yet. I always heard a 1 year mark.
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 6:28 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It depends on the child, the number of infections, the severity, hearing loss. I hope it gets better soon. I have spent more than my share of time dealing with miserable sick kids and Drs offices.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:46 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My daughter had an infection like that. It started when she was 6 months old. They tried amoxicillan, omnicef, augmentin, and finally the shots, and she still had the same infection. We got her tubes when she was 11 months old. She is almost 2 now, and she has only had one minor infection since.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 10:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• That is exactly like my daughter. Started getting them at 6 months. Did she do okay with the shot? No weird side effects?
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 10:04 PM on May. 3, 2011

• She didn't have any side affects, but it hurt her more than any other shot. She was sore for several days afterward. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have allowed it, but I wanted to do anything to help her get over the infection. It didn't work, but if it had I would probably be a proponent.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 12:11 AM on May. 4, 2011