Aaggh im so irritated and in tears with my 8year old

since me and his dad split 5 years ago it seems like its been a competition to be the good .week.. he wont do anything i tell him barely he back talks me like crazy. I finally put my foot down a gave a crap less weather i was the good parent or not and started correcting him by sending him to his room trying to ground him but no matter what i do he laughs in my face... i took his games and tv away and im lost... im so freaking stressed out im crying his little brother is picking up on what hes doing.. and hes being so disrespectful i just want to scream... sorry this is more of a vent but i dont know what to do now since i let him go so long.. who knew 8 year olds could be such monsters!! i definetly learned to correct the little one as he gets older to avoid this behavior

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 6:57 PM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well honestly it's not going to correct itself over night....he's use to ruling the roost so to speak so you have to keep up on it and be 100% committed to the new form of discipline you are doing and make sure that each time his actions will always result in this discipline over time he'll learn that mom really means business and you will start to see the change you want.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:07 PM on May. 3, 2011

• tear his ass up with a belt. that will teach him to show you some respect.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 6:59 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Definitely keep going with what you're doing, I'm guessing it's not helping that his father is probably not disciplining him whilst he's there. Is there any way you could have a chat with him so you could be on a level pegging and implement discipline in the same way? That might help. I think persistence is probably key in this situation.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 6:59 PM on May. 3, 2011

• tear his ass up with a belt. that will teach him to show you some respect.~ TiffanieK
    **********

Are you serious?
    that won't teach respect- it will teach fear
    *shakes head
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:21 PM on May. 3, 2011

**********
    Are you serious? that won't teach respect- it will teach fear *shakes head

... also will teach that violence is the only way to deal with problems, humiliation is part of love & relationships... I could go on for hours about how this will NOT help a bit!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:30 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I am sending you a hug. It is not easy, calm down you are doing the right thing. Do what you are doing keep taking things away and he will learn. You stay strong!!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Unfortunately, when you let it go, the behavior can get really bad. I hope that your little one doesn't idolize his brother, that could make it worse. Short of taking away ALL privileges and doing it consistentely--every time he breaks a rule or acts up--he gets a consequence, there is not much you can do. It is very hard, I know what you are going through. You can manage though. Try not to get too upset in front of either of your kids, they pick up on your being upset. Good luck.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 7:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• corner, sending to his room he can amuse himself. time out might be the best option even for his age. he will hate it but that is what it might take. move him to somewhere you can see him and just keep walking him back there. nanny 911 his attitude!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:01 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would get in his ass right now, cause if you do not establish the right amount of control he will be far worse as he gets older.

Set some rules, he goes to school, does his given chores, comes homes, does his homework, in the bed at a certain time. No TV< games, outside playtime, friends over on the wknds.

Each day this is his routine, once he shows progression in his behavior and responsibility than he can earn some things, but until than you are in charge and let him know he better know it now.

BE and STAY firm with him
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:10 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Start by taking EVERYTHING out of his room that is not a bed, a desk and school supplies... and lock it all up!! Then, when you send him to his room he will get the hint. VirginiaMama is on the right track with the rest!! hang in there!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:26 PM on May. 3, 2011