When is it time to take 15 month old girl to ER for Temp. and how high should i let it go before being concerned?

102.5 Temp under arm pit...has had mild fever for few days...today it really spiked...

kendralynn111

Asked by kendralynn111 at 7:23 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say 103+
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:24 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Over 104. Keep giving her motrin now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:26 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Typically you add a degree to under arm temps, so your daughters temp would be 103.5, 103 is when they say to take to the ER. I would take her temp rectally to make sure first
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:28 PM on May. 3, 2011

• i would by 103. my son was the same age got a fever and it got high fast and he had a seziour ( sp) due to the high fast temp. i wouldnt want u to go threw that. its horrible. give mortin and keep the body temp cool. loose clothing and such. i hope she feels better mama.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:31 PM on May. 3, 2011

• need more info, have you given tylenol ? have you called her pedi? My rule of thumb is that I would rather have dr tell me I was over reacting rather then ask me why I waited so long
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 7:32 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My son had 104.6 when he was 2 and I took him to the er and was sent home with instructions to alternate between tylenol and motrin. They also made me feel like I was a complete idiot for coming to the er.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:36 PM on May. 3, 2011

• How many days has she had fever? Keep giving her acetaminophen, then call her doctor for advice.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 7:37 PM on May. 3, 2011

• 104 but you should be able to get it down by putting her in a tepid bath and giving tylenol of baby motrin. If it keeps spiking you should call the Dr for recommendations (you do know they do have on call Drs right?)and don't wait till midnight to do it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:40 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Call your doctor for advice if you are really worried. If it is after hours someone will call you back with instructions.

Generally, as long as the fever is reacting to the medication and she is hydrated you do not need immediate medical intervention.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:44 PM on May. 3, 2011

• 104, not reacting to fever reducers, listless, not drinking, dark urine - these are all bad signs and you need to go to er.
    104 but it comes down with tyl/motrin, fussy or normal, drinking, normal urine - keep eye on her and if it lasts more than a couple days go see your pedi.
    Complications like vomiting or flu - see your pedi and give an electrolyte drink to help her retain fluids. With flu or vomiting even an adult can become dangerously dehydrated very quickly.
    Blood in vomit or diarrhea - go to er
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 8:32 PM on May. 3, 2011