Autism: Is there any specific symptoms I should look for?

My nephew will be 3 in about 10 days. He talks some, but it's kind of a language in it's own. He knows all of the Thomas the Train names, and can ask for Juice and O's, says see you tommorow, I love you, etc. He is not potty trained (the last time they tried to sit him down on it, he threw a tantrum and heaved (yes heaved) the potty into the bath tub. When he throws tantrums (at least one a day, six or more a week), and get's put in timeout, he stays there for HOURS. (see below)

CillaTexas

Asked by CillaTexas at 3:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Health

• Go to Autism speaks.org and look at the signs/symptoms, but to know for sure he will need to be evaluated by a professional. Could this be a lack of consistency between the daytime provider and the home environment? That can cause behavioral problems as well. At age 3, the things that I would really zero in on with the symptoms are: Does he understand simple directions/speech? Is his speech meaningful? Does he show appropriate play skills? Does he react negatively to certain stimuli?
    Encourage them to have him reevaluated immediately....if he does have Autism, early intervention is key.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• (more story)
    My sister had him go to a therapist to see about getting evaluated, unfortunatly she couldn't go and so my mother (daytime caregiver) and his day went. The lady said they were going to test for everything, including autism, and his dad's defenses went up. He was removed from the program, and now they are saying that he's really changed since that appt. But while he can now say more things, the tantrums, and the overall gest are the same. So is there a way to tell for sure??
    CillaTexas

Answer by CillaTexas at 3:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2008